• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Falcon 46 Head Change... any advice

R08

I'm about to change the heads on my Falcon l 46". I have the maintenance manual and I'm gonna tackle it this weekend.
I've change other parts like damper and the maintenance station/pump etc..

Any advice from those who have done it?

Thx
Rob

R08

Thx Chicago,
Unfortunely the closest tech is 6 hrs away so I'd have to fly him here and back and pay for his hotel etc... then the clock starts ticking... That's if they will even do it.
Last time I called they wanted me to bring my machine to them. But then, moving this beast may cause more problems

I'll take my chances and let you know. I may eat my words.

Thx
Rob

randya

Take plenty of 'before' pictures.
Label all your cables and ink lines.

Make sure the new heads are 'seated' properly in the carriage.
If they are not seated properly, you will not have any adjustment for head alignments.

Mechanical Head alignments can be tricky.

Take your time, relax and dont 'force' anything.

Get some orings and dampers just in case.

R08

Thanks Randy,

Excellent advice! Never thought of pictures.:thumb:

BTW I have changed all the dampers and I have 3 extras. Have orings in stock as well.

Anyone else?

R08

Has anyone else actually done this?
I think I heard you say you've pretty much taken these things apart Flame.

MacDaddy

Not Hard At All

Pay attention to how you take it apart... Put it back together the same way... There are documents out there that tell you how to align the heads... Remeber to note the head ranks, you will need them at the end of the process... It is about an hour long job then maybe another hour to electronically dial in the heads... Pretty easy stuff, just pay attention to detail...

R08

Thanks Mac,

I do have the maintenance manual.
What other documents are there?

It's a little daunting so I'm gonna scour the internet and see if I can get a clearer picture of what I'm doing.

Thanks again

Rob

gaz182

hey rob, i did a head change on my rockhopper... label the ribbon cables, make sure u dont mess and ink on the ribbon cables.. take the old head out carefully,.. on the new head u will have a number on the little plastic tab... break that off and keep it safe.... put in the new head.make sure u dont force the little spring that sets the alignment on the head..check that u have put the head in correctly... make sure that u can still move the adjustment freely...move it from left to right.... then put the dampers back on.... ensure that u correctly plug the ribbon cables into the head.... if not, u will blow a fuse!! and that will be costly.... then u should be sorted... DOUBLE check that everything is plugged in... and switch on the machine...... do a head rank... punch in the serial number that was on the litle plactic tab that u broke off the head.... and do alignment.... then you should be sorted..

R08

Thank You Gaz,
Wow all the way from South Africa!
More good advice. That's the kind that can save me a LOT of time and hassle.
Keeping your advice I should be real "sorted" .lol never heard the term 'sorted' used like that before. I take it to mean everything ok... :)

How's business down there?
Take care
Rob

gaz182

hey rob, yeah, all the way from africa!! i actually have allot of family living in toronto.. i been there three times... business is good, but i suppose if u do your work well, there can be 100's of other sign shops around, but clients will always prefer your "touch".
yea, and u correct in your guess, regarding the word "sorted"
do u do allot of vehicle wraps? and how is the sign industry in canada?

R08

Just started doing wraps last year. Have a contract to do a couple city buses this week. Business is good.
I'm in the middle of changing my head (just one for now) and so far so good. Just about to do the head rank adjustment.

Keep ya posted when everything is 'sorted'

Fuzzbuster

Hey SR

Your workin tonight too?

have to do 2 reprints for a trailer wrap i`m doin for sunday pickup

hey if you`re workin tonight Pm me later

and if your stuck for your bus wraps give me a call

probably workin all night again myself

R08

Hey SR

Your workin tonight too?

have to do 2 reprints for a trailer wrap i`m doin for sunday pickup

hey if you`re workin tonight Pm me later

and if your stuck for your bus wraps give me a call

probably workin all night again myself

reprint .. tell me about it. I hate those. That's what this head change is all about. I did a truck wrap last week but by the end I couldn't get the colours right and there was dead spots in the print. I realize now it was a heads.

Why are you reprinting. You use a true solvent don't you?

Fuzzbuster

Doin this car hauler for customer... probably the hardest job i`ve done so far

Not one text/word or picture on trailer design

ALL PANTONE COLOR MATCHED to Million dollar bus that pulls it behind...

Been workin on it for a week now and these panels i`ve done 3 times

...I`ll have to send pics when its done tomorow

I have maybe 1 hour left right now

You....are you done yet?

R08

well... can't print any more till I do the second head tomorrow. I behind on quotes AND production now. Lot of late nights this week comin up

R08

5000 sq foot... that's huge! You must have employees?
My shop is like altogether maybe 800 sq ft. (design office in the house)