• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Falcon II 64" outdoor Print head overcurrent error.

cycodesigns

Falcon II 64" outdoor Print head overcurrent error. I had the heads out and cleaned them. Reinstalled and Printed one banner. it sat for 4 days and now the overcurrent print head error comes up and won't let me print. I have also replaced 4 of the print head cables (Ordered all 8 but only 4 shipped) hoping the ones that were kinked were the problem or bad connection.

How do I reset the print head error? Or any advice on what to try short of replacing the print head board then replacing heads. I need this printer to run to pay for itself and have been down for 2 weeks. I replaced the capping stations and wipers while I was waiting for parts at least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the only Mutoh service rep I have found so far is in Los angeles and none in San Diego where I am. Is there a way to test the board or heads to see which is the problem. It just printed so I can't understand why it would just quit. Thank you.

Cy

cycodesigns

I disconnected all the cables to the heads. WHen I have all the cables disconnected I get the print head cable error. 072 I believe. When I plug in the first cable on the black head, I get the 075 head overcurrent error.

cycodesigns

I have all the cables replaced and still has the 075 head overcurrent error. When I unplug the first cable it says cable error. What would your next step be? I appreciate any help that you can give. If anyone has contact info for a good Mutoh Tech in San Diego area for a Falcon 2 Outdoor 64" solvent printer I am all for it. Thank you.

Cy

ibikestickers

Cyco,

I have a similar problem with the same machine, although adding to the problem is that I bought the machine used and have not had it fully operational yet.
In any case, here's my history; I bought the machine and removed all the heads and did a "by hand" cleaning of the heads and when I was putting it back together I stupidly had the power on, and one of the ribbon cables touched something it shouldn't have, resulting in an actual electric spark. When I put everything back together, I got a head overcurrent warning, so I unplugged the 4th head that was causing the warning and the warning went away.
To do some more investigation, I plugged the number 3 head into the slots of the number 4 head on the CR board. This resulted in getting the head overcurrent error again. Then, when I put the number 3 cables back into the number 3 slots, I still got the overcurrent warning again. This lead me to believe that plugging the cable into the bad slot caused the number 3 head to go bad, and THEN when I plugged the number 3 head into the number 3 slot, it caused the number 3 slot to go bad too! The same thing happened when I put the number 2 head cables into the number 3 slots.
Long story short, I'm afraid that I've ruined the CR board or the head driver board. I'm hoping it's just the heads and cables, but I also don't know how to diagnose the problem.

cycodesigns

Cyco,

I have a similar problem with the same machine, although adding to the problem is that I bought the machine used and have not had it fully operational yet.
In any case, here's my history; I bought the machine and removed all the heads and did a "by hand" cleaning of the heads and when I was putting it back together I stupidly had the power on, and one of the ribbon cables touched something it shouldn't have, resulting in an actual electric spark. When I put everything back together, I got a head overcurrent warning, so I unplugged the 4th head that was causing the warning and the warning went away.
To do some more investigation, I plugged the number 3 head into the slots of the number 4 head on the CR board. This resulted in getting the head overcurrent error again. Then, when I put the number 3 cables back into the number 3 slots, I still got the overcurrent warning again. This lead me to believe that plugging the cable into the bad slot caused the number 3 head to go bad, and THEN when I plugged the number 3 head into the number 3 slot, it caused the number 3 slot to go bad too! The same thing happened when I put the number 2 head cables into the number 3 slots.
Long story short, I'm afraid that I've ruined the CR board or the head driver board. I'm hoping it's just the heads and cables, but I also don't know how to diagnose the problem.

Thank you. I fortunately know it worked before and I didn't do anything to make it stop working so I am hoping just a minor part went bad. Yourstory sounds like the contributions I can make at this point. Here is how not to solve the problem. I hope you just messed up the head driver board. It is cheaper than 3 heads by a long shot. If I can't get a tech out, the next step is the print head driver board. then the black head as when that is unplugged the overcurrent error went away but the cable error came up. I will keep you posted. Thanks.

cripauto

i have been in your shoes. i to purchased a used falcon outdoor 2 with the same problem, head over current. the person i purchased it from shorted the ribbon cable and saw a spark and then nothing. i got the printer home and did my own diagnostics and tear down and found the head fuses blown. replaced the fuses and all is better, printer is running great.
PS there is a place to reset head errors in either maintenance mode or diagnostic mode.

cycodesigns

i have been in your shoes. i to purchased a used falcon outdoor 2 with the same problem, head over current. the person i purchased it from shorted the ribbon cable and saw a spark and then nothing. i got the printer home and did my own diagnostics and tear down and found the head fuses blown. replaced the fuses and all is better, printer is running great.
PS there is a place to reset head errors in either maintenance mode or diagnostic mode.

It now shows the error not at start up but when I start to print. You think it may be the fuse? I had a "tech" come out take $125 trip charge and tell me it needs new heads and board for $1300. He obviously never saw this machine before and didn't even take out a tester. He says the DX4 heads are $150 ea and everyone who pays $800+ is a sucker. The sucker was me. I never received the e-mailed receipt nor the proposal for repair.