Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falcon Outdoor Jr. Black

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by thmooch, Jul 21, 2010.

1. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    Falcon Outdoor Jr. Black is giving me an issue. I have attached a pic but not sure you can see it. What is happening is there is a slight (for better word) "space" as the print is not completely closing to the right. I am suspecting maybe some clogged nozzles. I did 2 - 15 min head soaks then cleaning cycle. Should I go longer? CMY are good, just K giving me this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. randya

randya Very Active Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Arizona
    What does the nozzle check look like?

3. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    image attached. looks bad.

Attached Files:

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yeah black looks pretty bad - I would isolate that as the problem...try a overnight head soak?

5. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    I did notice that when doing the soak that it seemed there was not (what I would consider) enough black ink on the rag. Anybody second the motion of an over night head soak?

6. randya

randya Very Active Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Arizona
    Well, it is good news/bad news.

Good news is that it looks like you are not missing nozzles, but have misdirected nozzles.

Misdirected nozzles can be caused by dried ink around the nozzle orifice, but can also be caused by damage to the nozzle plate.

I am not a big fan of overnight soaking, just be sure that it doesnt dry out.
    I prefer a soak and rewet about every 15-20 minutes with a few drops of solvent. Do this for an hour, run a clean off the front panel.
    Repeat as needed.

The whole idea is to get solvent where the dried ink is.

I cant really tell from your pic, but it could be a RIP/design issuefont issue.

If you create a black square and a black circle, does it do the same thing?

7. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    Looks like all the nozzles are firing just deflected badly. You could try pulling ink through the head with a syringe, sometimes that will clean out the blockage also.

8. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    good info. guys.

This happens with other fonts/graphics. I have been using alcohol as a soak but will switch to the cleaning solvent and do several more 15-20 min soaks & strong cleanings for the rest of the day then park the head and pull with the syringe. We will see what happens...

9. OneUpTenn

OneUpTenn Active Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Try taking the cleaning solution and dabbing some on the pad where the heads pass through...brain freeze here...cant think of what its called. Let it run printing something just black for a few minutes. This has always worked for me in the past. The pad that removes the excess ink.

10. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    oneuptenn, you talking about the wiper?

11. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    looking at the nozzle check vs. printing anomaly, i don't think a deflected nozzle can cause that. there'd be banding within the solid black area of the print. and or the line to the side would be broken. instead it is solid. this looks more like a data issue to me. the black head is firing early as it approaches it's x/y, then hesitating, then fully firing. an encoder strip can't cause this because it would just be the y position. this issue is x/y. very weird. it's like your black head is hiccupping. are the files vector or raster or both?

12. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    artbot, the black actually does have banding(can't see it real from my pic). I print tiff files.

13. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    Could possibly be a data thing but that black head is really messed up. Fix it first and then see if you need to go further. Remember the black you are printing, unless you are using no color correction and 100% black, is made up mostly of c-m-y depending on the profile you are using. That could account for less banding being visible as compared to just printing 100% black.

14. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    well, no luck so far with soak & cleaning cycles. I do feel the Solvent cleaner is doing more than the Alcohol, by the looks of the rag(more black on the rag now). I printed a 2"x28" block of black and as previously mentioned it looks good(cmyk all printing). Same issue with text & graphics though. I tried the syringe to pull ink also and no difference. I will do more/longer soaks tomorrow & see what the nozzle check looks like.

as always, I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

15. Newbie_on

Newbie_on Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Check your mechanical and electronic adjustments.

16. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    well, after limping along for a month or so I decided to replace the head as deflecting nozzle checks kept getting worse. Installed the new Head, entered ranking. Now black is back to where it is supposed to be(fingers crossed.)

Attached Files: