• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fastest printer for wrap vinyls with sellable quality

Jack Knight1979

What is the fastest printer for running wrap vinyl roll-to-roll for less than $250k.

I feel like I may need two of the new roland xr machines as they run awesome quality at something like 200 sqft an hour, but I know that other machines are capable of printing at 2500 sqft an hour, but that's UV on billboard quality scrim. UV printers don't work for wrap products, so what's the best option?

I've looked into solvent AGFA's, but the maintenance/repair on those machines have me freaked out a bit. It seems like it's five grand every time they don't want to turn on.

Thanks for your time guys.

HulkSmash

What is the fastest printer for running wrap vinyl roll-to-roll for less than $250k.

I feel like I may need two of the new roland xr machines as they run awesome quality at something like 200 sqft an hour, but I know that other machines are capable of printing at 2500 sqft an hour, but that's UV on billboard quality scrim. UV printers don't work for wrap products, so what's the best option?

I've looked into solvent AGFA's, but the maintenance/repair on those machines have me freaked out a bit. It seems like it's five grand every time they don't want to turn on.

Thanks for your time guys.

HP SCITEX LX 800

2 54" rolls printing at once, 40 rolls a day easy. 120" printing width.
~220k

mike @ merritt has a nice video of one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QujSrLQ3hOI

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
You can order on of the new roland machines with 8 cartridges... 2black,2cyan,2magenta,2yellow.
Faster than printers with only 4 cartridges

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Thats how Mimaki's have been setup for 10 years or so. You can configure the machine as CMYKLcLm or dual CMYK (CCMMYYKK) which doubles their speed....

You can order on of the new roland machines with 8 cartridges... 2black,2cyan,2magenta,2yellow.
Faster than printers with only 4 cartridges

Jack Knight1979

I have two six color machines. I'll have to look into their speeds at dual CMYK.

I have become quite smitten with the LX850. The three phase power requirement is a drag out here in rural Maine. I'm trying to find a building that is already equipped with it. I've been told that putting three phase in a building is about 20-25k.

Does that price sound right for you guys in other states?

Typestries

What about redundancy? Add a larger number of lower cost machines? If you are running on tight deadlines, and you go down hard, service up your way might be an issue for a big machine.

Typestries

Oh, and adding 3 phase just find a building with it. We had a perfect location in our sights, local elec utility wanted $90k to get 3 phase to us. Then the install cost on top of that. That's partly why 14k sq ft of goodness was so attractively priced. Of course the cost depends on your distance from the source of the 3 phase. Don't even consider a phase converter with these machines.

Letterbox Mike

Personally I second Rick's suggestion for multiple smaller machines. Yes, 1 big industrial printer is faster, but for $250k you can put in 10+ smaller RTR printers, which means reduced downtime and the flexibility to run multiple jobs or medias at once. Redundancy is efficiency, there's a lot to be said for it.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Holy cow Batman! A Flora 4 x 8 flatbed with roll to roll is about $125k. ADD two Roland XR-640s $30k each and you are at LESS THAN $200k

Jack Knight1979

I won't be able to run a flatbed for this application. I wish that I could because I'd like to add it to the stable, but I need a roll to roll machine.

I love Rolands, but the ink cost for the amount of printing doesn't make sense. (XR's)

The Rolands I currently have will stay. 745 & 645, but I'll need this large LX moster. The cost of consumables for it are about half the cost of Roland OEM inks, so it doesn't make sense to run a large number of Rolands.

Initially the plan was to run three Rolands -- my current machines plus the XR, but image quality between the machines will be way different and it's still not fast enough.

In two weeks running the LX in ten hour shifts, I could print what my Rolands output in a year continually running. Additionally the LX runs at 1200 dpi all the time. You only gain density by adding passes. Win

Now I need to find a spot with 3 Phase power.