• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FastTrac Growth Venture Update

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
A few weeks ago, I had mentioned the Kaufmann Foundation's FastTrac Growth Venture classes that were being offered in our community. Basically, Growth Venture is designed for current business owners who desire a better understanding of their business in preparation for future growth or maintaining sustainability.

Since Michigan's ecomony is practically at the bottom of the dumper, each participant was given a $720 scholarship (from grant money) for the class, leaving us with just $100 to pick up on our own.

Several of us in the class come from non-business backgrounds, but I was surprised by how many seasoned business owners were coming "back to school" to take a long hard look at re-defining their businesses in a declining economy...fraught with new startups and ever increasing low-ball competition. The "battle stories" I heard were quite an eye opener.

Last Thursday was the first day of class. The course runs six weeks, and we meet one day a week for six hours of instruction and group discussion. I'm finding that the homework takes me about four to six hours to complete each module.

A majority of the material can be studied independently, but the interaction between participants during class has proven very beneficial, and has challenged my thinking in several ways. I'm looking forward to breaking away from a lot of the preconceived notions I have.

For those who might be interested in what they teach, I'll try to keep a weekly outline of the material we cover.

Here's what was on the schedule for last week:

Module 1: Sizing Up Your Business-
Conducted a SWOT Analysis (Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, Threats)
Defined a three-year vision of our business
Identified goals for the business and our goals for the FastTrac program

Module 2: Exploring Growth Opportunities
Assessed Industry potential
Developed my customer profile
Analyzed my direct, indirect and future competition
Evaluated our business growth opportunities

Module 3: Making Strategic Decisions
Defined my business strategy
Defined my executive summary (for business plan)

Jim

Last edited:

James Burke

Even though the initial out of pocket cost was $100, I still have modest travel expenses and opportunity cost (lost labor time).

Sure, I can write off those costs, but even more importantly, I see continuing education as an investment...in my skills...and ultimately in the value of my business.

I can't remember where I saw this but it sure sums it up:

"If you think the price of education is high...consider the cost of ignorance"

JB

Last edited:

James Burke

Just remember that colleges are in the business of selling education
Very true, but this is education that is tailor made for our individual businesses. We're obviously not a bunch of college seniors sitting around waiting to set the world on fire. It's all about solving real-world problems (note the blurb about "battle stories").

I am assuming there was other hidden payments covered by the government or others..

Approx. 90% is sponsored by private and government (We, The People) private intiatives. Thank God, that we're spending money on American business...within our borders instead of squandering it overseas.

Stepping of my soap box now...

BTW...the video had some valid information, but it was an hour-long advertisement.

JB

Last edited:

CES020

Good for you James. Having spent several years in business networking groups, I learned a lot there. I learned that not everyone that thinks they should have their own business, should. It's easy for me to see why the failure rate of small business is so high. Because most people that start one don't have a clue about running a business. I'm not the brightest business guy by any means, but I was literally shocked when I saw what others do, unsuccessfully.

I befriended a guy that had a carpet cleaning business. Great job, great price, everyone that used him would refer him or use them again, but when the recession came, it cut him way back. I offered to introduce him to pet store owners (people with sick animals need their carpet cleaned :) ). He wasn't interested. I offered to go with him to chamber and other networking events. He said he would, but wouldn't ever commit. In the end, I realized he was a very shy person that didn't like to speak in public.

He's working at IHOP now as a cook.

I can't believe how many people don't know who their customers are. When I ask "Who's your customer" to people, they look at me like I asked a stupid question, and then say "Everyone". I just shake my head and move on.

So good for you. If you only get 10% of the stuff they teach that works for you, it'll be time well spent.

iSign

This is great stuff James!
Thanks for taking the time!

For those who might be interested in what they teach, I'll try to keep a weekly outline of the material we cover.

Here's what was on the schedule for last week:

Module 1: Sizing Up Your Business-
Conducted a SWOT Analysis (Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, Threats)
Defined a three-year vision of our business
Identified goals for the business and our goals for the FastTrac program

Module 2: Exploring Growth Opportunities
Assessed Industry potential
Developed my customer profile
Analyzed my direct, indirect and future competition
Evaluated our business growth opportunities

Module 3: Making Strategic Decisions
Defined my business strategy
Defined my executive summary (for business plan)

Jim

showcase 66

They are offering something like that here. I have applied for the scholarship but only 30 people will get it from the 3 cities around here. Here it will be a 12 week course that you have to make every course and if you miss one you are responsible for the payment for the class. $1600. I am hoping I get picked. I think it will be a Great opportunity.

Hope you get a lot out of it.

James Burke

They are offering something like that here. I have applied for the scholarship but only 30 people will get it from the 3 cities around here. Here it will be a 12 week course that you have to make every course and if you miss one you are responsible for the payment for the class. $1600. I am hoping I get picked. I think it will be a Great opportunity.

Hope you get a lot out of it.

Thanks for the encouragement. Like anything else, you only get out of it what you put into it. Nothing magical, and no shortcuts...just old fashioned hard work.

On another note, it looks like I got a slight arse flaming, but I'm still going to post updates each week. Give me a shout if I should happen to get busy and forget.

JB

iSign

Smart but narrow minded... Too many books I think.. You seem to sell a commodity.. Therein lies OPPORTUNITY for the rest of us.. Carry on..

CES020

Wow, Rob, you had to stretch for that one.....

I'd comment on your remarks, but it's not worth the effort :toasting:

Craig Sjoquist

James B. that was informative to say the least, education is great glad your getting a bargain seems rather valuable subject, knows I could use some business sense education.
Yes please start a new thread on next weeks update.

iSign

I think he got banned today.. his combative posts were all sprinkled throughout this thread.. now that he's gone... that's what my "fresh air" comment meant..

kffernandez

I think he got banned today.. his combative posts were all sprinkled throughout this thread.. now that he's gone... that's what my "fresh air" comment meant..

lolz. yeah. it appears he got banned. but it's the first time i've seen posts actually get removed. most of the time. the user just gets banned and the posts stays. :signs101:

:thankyou:

kelly

SqueeGee

iSign said:

That dude was nuckin'futz! Reminded me of another guy, sjm, who would bounce into threads just to stir it up.