Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fathead, any new info?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Tony Rome, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Tony Rome

Tony Rome Active Member

Feb 17, 2009
    PA
    OK so I posted about this a few years back and just wondering if there have been any changes.
    I searched the forum but was wondering are there any updates, anything new that has come out?

I am looking for the closest material to Fathead.

I tried Orajet 3268 think it is not too bad, the only other thing that seemed like competition is the PhotoTex.
    I am not sure what the big difference is although PhotoTex says it is "fabric paper" not sure what that really means.

Also, why is it recommended to use a bleed with the Orajet, does the ink on the edges really make it more probable to peel?
    Do you use a laminate?

I just need something that doesn't peel off the wall and doesn't peel paint off the wall when moving/removing.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Photo tex has a heavy wall paper feel to it. Sticks nice and prints well. Not cheapest but you know the old saying, you get what you pay for.

3. rfulford

rfulford Active Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Orlando
    These are all similar....

Phototex (Fabric)
    General Formulations Graphitex (Fabric)
    Mac Tac Wall Noodle (Vinyl)
    Lexjet Wall and Window Decor (Vinyl)

4. Tony Rome

Tony Rome Active Member

Feb 17, 2009
    PA
    So...if you have used any of these do you know what is closest to the actual Fathead?
    I never felt a fathead, lol...OK feel free to enjoy that for a while.
    But seriously what is the closest, is it more vinyl or fabric, and does anyone dislike the Orajet 3268?

5. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I use seramark.. not sure if i really like it though.. It is also a fabric.

6. Tony Rome

Tony Rome Active Member

Feb 17, 2009
    PA
    I just ordered Jarhead since I can get a small roll for under $60 I will check it out and let you know.

For those that use Jarhead, do you always laminate?
    Thanks

7. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    JARHEAD!!! JUNK!!!! you have to have white outline and it doesnt stay on wall. Takes paint off also. I have 3/4 roll that i am debating on throwing!

8. AKProbeGT

AKProbeGT Premium Subscriber

Jan 17, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    We didn't have much luck with Jarhead. Always seemed to peal at the edges even if we left unprinted area.

9. Tony Rome

Tony Rome Active Member

Feb 17, 2009
    PA
    OK cancelled my Jarhead, ugh!

10. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    In my opinion, use phototex. But I have no idea what fathead is and frankly do not care. Phototex works for what I have used it for and has never let me down. I have a piece printed and contour cut almost life size in my shop that has been on about every wall here including the windows and bricks outside. Right now he is hanging on my front door greeting customers. Still sticks great and removes flawlessly.