• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Favorite Font Topic!

skysdalimit

I'm new to the forum and sign making. I love letters and combining them together.

Just wondering what fonts people enjoy and use the most. Also what combinations of fonts rock!

Looking forward to the responses!!! :thankyou:

SignosaurusRex

Welcome Board........from the great Pacific Northwest
An introduction (brief description about yourself and what you do) is typically the norm as well as expected around these parts and might be helpful.
FYI... Default text size, color and typeface is perfectly fine when posting......yelling, especially in color is normally reserved for for rants or arguments later on down the road. As to your question.....
There are about a bazillion fonts out there and just as many answers/opinions you are likely to receive depending on ones level of experience and knowledge of fonts (typefaces) and their proper uses.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm new to the forum and sign making. I love letters and combining them together.

Just wondering what fonts people enjoy and use the most. Also what combinations of fonts rock!Looking forward to the responses!!

...god-awful color and size mercifully corrected...

The answer is much the same as when Louis Armstrong was asked "What is jazz?" To which he sagely replied "If you have to ask you're never going to know."

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Welcome from the Kingdom of Texas!

You must read:
Mastering Layout On the Art of Eye Appeal
by Mike Stevens.

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 and people.

I use about 10 or so most of time and the rest what ever customer brings in I'm not normally using, having a favorites of.... extra bold..bold ..italic...medium ..and light of same fonts, and able to customize really helps.

skysdalimit

Welcome Board........from the great Pacific Northwest
An introduction (brief description about yourself and what you do) is typically the norm as well as expected around these parts and might be helpful.
FYI... Default text size, color and typeface is perfectly fine when posting......yelling, especially in color is normally reserved for for rants or arguments later on down the road. As to your question.....
There are about a bazillion fonts out there and just as many answers/opinions you are likely to receive depending on ones level of experience and knowledge of fonts (typefaces) and their proper uses.

thanks for the tips! I work in Los Angeles California as a pinstriper and do a little custom paint on cars and such. I did a sign for my workshop and get requests from customers for the same. I really enjoy the challenge of sign making and the layout, just have zero formal training. I'm handy with a computer and own a small graphtec plotter. I'm an outsider to this forum, but I love the unknown.

skysdalimit

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 and people.

I use about 10 or so most of time and the rest what ever customer brings in I'm not normally using, having a favorites of.... extra bold..bold ..italic...medium ..and light of same fonts, and able to customize really helps.

I suppose that woud of been a better, question. What fonts do you use the most?

Colin

I suppose that woud of been a better, question. What fonts do you use the most?

At the risk of seeming gruff, it doesn't matter which typefaces anyone uses the most. Your task is to utilize ones which are appropriate for the particular sign. That takes time & experience. And rule number one to get burned into your brain right now: Only use one or two, or on some occasions three different typefaces on any given sign. Start by using one only, but varying weights of that font. Then maybe add a script for a short message (not long ones) on that sign to warm it up a bit.

Every sign requires it's own unique approach.

Attachments

• Fonts.jpg
    Fonts.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 88

Marlene

That's easy, Brush Script.

You forgot papyrus. Combining the two gives your papyrus script ... hot bowl of awesome sauce.

then add in one of my favorites, Old English, all upper case on an arc with just a touch of Comic Sans to give it "fun" look.

well, you at least now know our all time love to hate fonts:wink:

SignManiac

As you are just entering the "Lettering" phase of your career, get off to a good start. Begin by "investing" in a good font collection. Avoid most of the self installed Microsoft fonts you most likely have on your computer, as they are the same worn out, over used fonts every other numbskull illiterate computer operator is using. Instead, set yourself apart from the crowd, (your competition) by using fonts from these three major font providers. SignFonts.com, SignDNA.com and Letterheadfonts.com. You won't be disappointed with any of these in your collection.

Also, get yourself a subscription to SignCraft magazine and study every portfolio piece you see in it. I doubt you will recognize very many of the fonts used by these artist. They understand the importance of using an appropriate font on each and every sign they design.

Fonts can make or break a sign depending on the ones you choose to use. Fonts have personalities and can really help express the meaning and message of any sign. Some are utilitarian, some are decorative, some are formal and some are casual. Learn which ones to use.

Mike Stevens book has some great examples of fonts used well. Keep studying everything you can find on typography. It's a very specific and important part of sign design just as proper use of color is. A sign is many more parts than just sticking a letter on a board. A great sign is the sum of many important design elements!

Have fun with it. If you're balls are big enough, post up your designs for some honest critique before you sell a job, not after. You will see your portfolio grow very fast with good designs...

That's my .02 worth!

skysdalimit

At the risk of seeming gruff, it doesn't matter which typefaces anyone uses the most. Your task is to utilize ones which are appropriate for the particular sign. That takes time & experience. And rule number one to get burned into your brain right now: Only use one or two, or on some occasions three different typefaces on any given sign. Start by using one only, but varying weights of that font. Then maybe add a script for a short message (not long ones) on that sign to warm it up a bit.

Every sign requires it's own unique approach.

thanks for the tip! the pic illustrates the actions very well !! It sounds like asking for a favorite font is like asking a parent to pick there favorite child.

I've got a small collection from letterheadfonts.com and I enjoy those quite a bit. I grow it little by little so I can digest each one on different projects.