• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Favorite Media

Glass Art Studio

We just got a new JV33-160. We dont have a rip so we are using Rasterlink. was wondering what other Mimaki owners prefer for media.
In the sample kit we got some Brightline, and 3M. We actually prefered the Brightline. We could not find the right color profile for 3M in Rasterlink.

Also was wondering about your rip. Ive done a little research. I've heard that Wasatch was a little more user friendly.
Thanks,
Donovan

Letterbox Mike

Grimco's Briteline is actually General Formulations vinyl and it's quite good, we use quite a bit of it, especially the 203 gloss and 201 matte calendered. You'll find Orajet 3651 will be quite good as well, and we were using it like it was going out of style, but I think in the future for most intermediate jobs we'll stick with the Briteline or Fellers Concept (same stuff as Grimco's, both made by GF) line of vinyl. We use the 3651 profile for most calendered gloss vinyls with excellent results. For high performance we prefer 3M IJ180C-v2, and since we don't yet make our own profiles we print on it using a modified Avery MPI1005EZ profile. For banner material, you can't go wrong with Ultraflex Jetflex FL, most people will say the same thing, it's excellent stuff. Grimco just dropped it in favor of Key banner I think it's called, we tried it with horrifying results, but others may have had better experiences.

Look at Onyx for your RIP as well. I hear good things about Wasatch but have no first hand experience, but we're very satisfied with Onyx, especially their customer service. BTW, we're using a JV3, not a 33.

Glass Art Studio

For high performance we prefer 3M IJ180C-v2, and since we don't yet make our own profiles we print on it using a modified Avery MPI1005EZ profile.

May I ask what modifications you made? This is the same profile the tech recommended we used until we got more seasoned on the printer.

::ONEBADBUG::

I just started using Onyx...

Workup a profile
Save
Process
*POOF*
Print

All I find myself asking now is this...
Why wasn't using a RIP program ten years ago :)=

Now only if I could figure out why when I get down to the 34th-ish inch of any print over 48" in width, it crumples the edge of the 1st print like clockwork and jambs the axis ....Then Life would then be perfect.

What is an etching shop doing with a solvent printer? ...just curious.

Letterbox Mike

All I did to the 1005EZ profile was change the heat settings, although to be honest I can't remember to what (I'm at home right now). I think it was 45 and 48 but I can't remember, may have been 42 and 40, but I'm thinking that's for banners. I've also got a 180C profile from 3M but the Avery profile prints better (Ironically I can't get sellable prints on the 1005EZ with that profile though...) I'll check in the morning though. Seriously, the 3651 profile is one of the best "canned" profiles out there and works fairly well on a large variety of media.

eforer

+1 to Matt. Arlon 4560gt/gtx is a great glossy calendered option, and 3M for top of the line cast stuff. While raster link's core is based on wasatch, its not really a good production RIP. The real Wasatch is great.

For lam I really like Orguard 210 for calendered and the 3m cast stuff (forget the name) to work with their cast products. Never use a calendered lam on a cast vinyl (you probably already knew that).

ColesCreations

Ummm...
I thought Rasterlink IS a rip program?
We use FlexiSign Pro (7.6), works OK, want to try our copy of 8.5, but have been waiting for 6 months for a activation code from SAI, so I will not recommend them, as customer support is worse than anything I have ever purchased before. We also purchased a copy of Rasterlink, which in some cases gets far better colors...