• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FB550 capabilities.

So we're looking to add flatbed capability to our shop and we're looking at the HP FB550, but I have a few questions before we drop $100k on a new machine.

What exactly are the roll to roll capabilities of this machine (with the optional kit)? Is it possible to the one-off wrap if needed? We have an L26500 that will print most of our wraps, but if needed will I be able to handle it? A few years back I believe I heard that UV inks don't last as long as latex or eco-sol outdoors, is that still the case? Do the inks crack or lighten a lot when stretched?

I've heard of companies that make jigs for printing odd shaped items, such as golf balls. Is this the case with the FB550?

Is the only difference between the 550 and 750 the size (and price, of course)?

Thanks for your help.

Hotspur

HP FB UV printers

So we're looking to add flatbed capability to our shop and we're looking at the HP FB550, but I have a few questions before we drop $100k on a new machine.

What exactly are the roll to roll capabilities of this machine (with the optional kit)? Is it possible to the one-off wrap if needed? We have an L26500 that will print most of our wraps, but if needed will I be able to handle it? A few years back I believe I heard that UV inks don't last as long as latex or eco-sol outdoors, is that still the case? Do the inks crack or lighten a lot when stretched?

I've heard of companies that make jigs for printing odd shaped items, such as golf balls. Is this the case with the FB550?

Is the only difference between the 550 and 750 the size (and price, of course)?

Thanks for your help.

Hi

The roll to roll will print onto most substrates and is unusually flexible when compared to most UV ink - but flexible does not mean stretchable. You can print without cracking onto flexible substrates - textiles, SAV etc but it cannot be used in applications where stretching of the substrate is required eg vehicle wraps.

The HP UV ink will last 2-3 years outdoors unlaminated so its just the same as ecosolvent.

Many people use jigs for small odd-shaped items but they usually make them in the shop - I've not seen a company selling jigs for the FB but they may be available.

The 750 is a little faster than the 550 due to the extra width in comparable print modes but has an extra mode at the fast end called Billboard which is 80sqm/h - the 550 doesn't have this very fast print mode.

The 750 also has a foot switch to say "sheet ready" to the printer.

Main difference - the 750 is 2.5m wide and so can take an 8x4' board in landscape format - this makes large board media handling easier and the workflow quicker - it's the main reason people choose it over the 550.

If you are using smaller cut sheets there's little difference in this regard.

I have sold nearly 200 of these (incl the 700 and 500) and they have proved very reliable workhorses for the signage market - they are a solid choice.

Correct Color

XX,

Just as a counter opinion for you...

The FB550 certainly isn't a bad machine. There are a ton of them out there, and they have a ton of mostly pretty happy users.

But what it is getting to be is a pretty dated machine. The machine itself is still an updated version of the old Colorspan 5460 that HP inherited when they bought Colorspan and finally put it out of its misery however many years ago.

I'd say its biggest strength is its inkset. It's got a very bright, almost fluorescent pink magenta, and a really bright yellow, and as such -- profiled to take advantage of it -- it can get some very vivid orangish reds. More so than any other CMYK inkset out there. At the expense of purples, of course, but it's been my experience more people care about the colors its inkset gains than it loses.

It's biggest weakness is banding. Not traditional banding like you might see in eco-solvent machines, but "lawnmower banding" and "cure banding."

Many newer UV machines have pretty much solved both of these issues, but they're still pretty visible with the HP in many printing configurations.

As fas as running a wrap on one: You can try anything I suppose, but I've never seen it done and I would not recommend it. The cure banding alone would make a pretty funky looking wrap, even after laminating.

As far as jigs for small items, I don't know about golf balls, I'd think that might be more trouble than it's worth, but yes, people do it all the time. I have a client in Arizona who uses an FB550 and uses jigs to print clock faces.

Hotspur

And another POV!

XX,

Just as a counter opinion for you...

The FB550 certainly isn't a bad machine. There are a ton of them out there, and they have a ton of mostly pretty happy users.

But what it is getting to be is a pretty dated machine. The machine itself is still an updated version of the old Colorspan 5460 that HP inherited when they bought Colorspan and finally put it out of its misery however many years ago.

I'd say its biggest strength is its inkset. It's got a very bright, almost fluorescent pink magenta, and a really bright yellow, and as such -- profiled to take advantage of it -- it can get some very vivid orangish reds. More so than any other CMYK inkset out there. At the expense of purples, of course, but it's been my experience more people care about the colors its inkset gains than it loses.

It's biggest weakness is banding. Not traditional banding like you might see in eco-solvent machines, but "lawnmower banding" and "cure banding."

Many newer UV machines have pretty much solved both of these issues, but they're still pretty visible with the HP in many printing configurations.

As fas as running a wrap on one: You can try anything I suppose, but I've never seen it done and I would not recommend it. The cure banding alone would make a pretty funky looking wrap, even after laminating.

As far as jigs for small items, I don't know about golf balls, I'd think that might be more trouble than it's worth, but yes, people do it all the time. I have a client in Arizona who uses an FB550 and uses jigs to print clock faces.

Sorry Mike not sure I agree -

The FB range (500,550,700 & 750) are new in relation to the old Colorspans. The printers you may be referring to are the HP H35000 and H45000 which came after the Colorspans and before the FBs.

These certainly were the updated versions of the Colorspan and had all the issues the old Colorspan did. The FBs are not Colorspans and were designed by HP.

The FBs were launched in 2010 and even so are an older design compared to newly-launched printers today and as such I agree show a little more banding at higher speeds (on my 750 up to 10sqm/h there is no banding at all)

For all my sign & display customers the banding is not a visible issue at normal viewing distances for the applications they need - certainly the FBs are not perfect for close up photo work (arms length) as some UVs are today...but this is not the market they are designed for and some of the newer UVs with less banding have substantial issues in other areas.

Most FB customers do general signage work and indoor POS work with these and banding is never reported as an issue - other things are much more important to them.

For example there is no other printer that has such an efficient cut-sheet workflow for anywhere near the price, It has a very small footprint, has great backup and reputation for robustness, great ink (as you said) etc etc.

Any of these will be more important to a sign & display customer Vs ultimate image quality at close distance - I guess your comments need to be taken in context with regard to the appropriate usage this printer is aimed at.

deca

ink usage on HP FB550

Hello

Does anyone has an idea about the average ink consumption per square meter on this machine.
I know that this is related to profile and media but what is the consumption of a square meter on a composite material such as disband.

Deca