• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC-8000 registration errors

scene329

I just switched over to a using a gloss laminate and have had one hell of a day fighting with our cutter. Here's what happens... I go to send the job to cut, it starts reading the registration marks and then errors. It's almost like the gloss is reflecting light into the censor causing it to have an error. I was told by our tech to take some fine grit sand paper and "roughen up" the area where the registration marks are..

We did that and seem to be having better luck.. however, we're in the business to make money and keep production rolling. With this method of having to "buff" every registration point its only going to slow down production.

Has anyone here experienced the same issue? If so, how did you solve it? Oh, the tech also said I should switch back to a "matte finish".. Apparently, these machines only work with matte or luster finishes..

If I can not get the issue resolved we'll be looking for a Summa T-Series cutter with Take-Up Reel and Opos Cam technology :) (and of course getting rid of our GraphTech).

Help me out guys.

cgsigns_jamie

I have an FC8000, and I use 3M 8518 gloss lam on most of my vinyl and don't have any issues reading marks. The only thing that gives me any issues is the reflective vinyl.

Have you tried using the automatic mark adjustment? The plotter will scan a mark and adjust the sensitivity automatically. That usually works for me.

Check in the manual, there's an entire section dedicated to troubleshooting the ARMS system, and it's a very good read.

scene329

I have an FC8000, and I use 3M 8518 gloss lam on most of my vinyl and don't have any issues reading marks. The only thing that gives me any issues is the reflective vinyl.

Have you tried using the automatic mark adjustment? The plotter will scan a mark and adjust the sensitivity automatically. That usually works for me.

Check in the manual, there's an entire section dedicated to troubleshooting the ARMS system, and it's a very good read.

We've played around with it today with our tech. It seems the only way to get it to read the marks is to rough them up a bit with sand paper. Do you have any specific settings we should try?

amw

Longtime Members
Maybe try moving the plotter a little one way or the other..??
We have one and have had no prob with it finding them, we use gloss lam about 90% of the time.
(no prob on reflective either)

I have read of this if you have a bright light above it (or near it).

ProWraps

take a ruler, and a fine point pen, and redraw the reg marks on the material. we have to do it all the time on our fc130-7000. works every time. you can also try turning the lights off. works sometimes, but the method i said above works for us all the time.

its so common we dont even flinch anymore when it happens.

jasonx

Have you played with the reg mark sensitivity levels?

We run through gloss vinyl and gloss vinyl laminated every day.

You know your laminate, does it entirely cover the reg marks? I remember we had a problem where the laminate wouldn't cover the reg marks entirely due to our laminating process and the cutter would register where the laminate finished as the cut line.

Could this be your problem also?

Which reg marks as you using and what sizes?

I typically use a type 2 mark with a 20mm size and a 20mm margin.

Are you guys having problems using smaller margin mark sizes?

jasonx

Just remember. Also in regards to reg mark sensitivity levels have you done a firmware update recently? I remember when I did one when I had problems the new firmware changes those settings to something a lot higher which gave me reg mark registration problems.

DRamm76

I have seen guys use the sandpaper method and turning the lights off for a simple solution. It does work. The glossier laminates especially from Oracal tend to have this type of result. I have even seen customers use an olfa knife and cut squares around the circle where the registration marks are so there is no laminate covering them. A little extreme for my taste but it does work.

saktrnch

I just rub the marks down with my fingers or something, and I also leave the light off that's right above the cutter.

scene329

Just remember. Also in regards to reg mark sensitivity levels have you done a firmware update recently? I remember when I did one when I had problems the new firmware changes those settings to something a lot higher which gave me reg mark registration problems.

We just did a Firmware update yesterday along with adjusting the sensitivity levels.

I'm going to try the "turning off the lights" trick. See if that works...

p3

Yep, with oracal is when we have to problem. Squeegee around the reg. marks, kill the lights, till it scans all the marks then its good to go. But my problems only come up when i use the big squeegee from when it leaves the silvering behind, I believe is what reflects it. Sometimes it scans, but isn't accurate so my cuts get off by just a touch. But I just squeegee them after I laminate everything now and haven't had a problem since.

scene329

Yep, with oracal is when we have to problem. Squeegee around the reg. marks, kill the lights, till it scans all the marks then its good to go. But my problems only come up when i use the big squeegee from when it leaves the silvering behind, I believe is what reflects it. Sometimes it scans, but isn't accurate so my cuts get off by just a touch. But I just squeegee them after I laminate everything now and haven't had a problem since.

It seems like the only way I'll be able to solve this problem is to buff / sand the registration marks.. Which isn't going to happen. I'd rather have a machine that actually works then to babysit it all day... to me it doesn't seem very productive.

Anyone want to buy my Graphtec FC-8000 130? We just bought it back in August and its been well taken care of. I'm looking for $4000 and I might be willing to throw in free shipping. I'd also throw in a 5 pack of the CBU15 blades along with the red tool and blue tool.

LittleSnakey

I am having the exact same problem with our FC-8000-130. 2 months old
Does anyone have a solution yet?
We also purchased this machine hoping it would save us time and now its slower than just cutting with our roland. When it works, it works good.... but it gets old having to resend the job 6 times before it finds the marks.

Graphtec are you listening?????

scene329

I am having the exact same problem with our FC-8000-130. 2 months old
Does anyone have a solution yet?
We also purchased this machine hoping it would save us time and now its slower than just cutting with our roland. When it works, it works good.... but it gets old having to resend the job 6 times before it finds the marks.

Graphtec are you listening?????

Absolutely!! Oh, and good luck trying to get ahold of Graphtech Directly. They have TERRIBLE customer service. We're about to get rid of our FC-8000 and get the Summa T-series with Opos Cam & a take up reel. We are currently working on a 20,000 decal job and let me tell you that we're about ready to throw out this Graphtech. Graphtech equals a P.O.S.

If anyone on here wants to actually by a cutter that works.. go with Summa. You''ll pay this off quickly.

SignosaurusRex

Try putting some mat finish clear scotch tape or lam over the reg marks. You can also cut the amount of lighting in the room. I know thats a bit of a bitch at times....but does work

scene329

Try putting some mat finish clear scotch tape or lam over the reg marks. You can also cut the amount of lighting in the room. I know thats a bit of a bitch at times....but does work

I can tell you that turning off the lights doesn't work. We've sanded and that is about the only thing that works.

What about covering the censor with something like clear tape?

LittleSnakey

Ya, when had them call us they had us reset the machine to factory settings. Then he told to hook up the USB cord and when we told him it was connected through the network all he said was "Oh No!"

Turning off the lights didn't work for us, rubbing the vinyl with my finger over the crop marks did work and we will try the sandpaper trick next time.