• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC5100A not cutting right! Help!!!

brdss

OK, having a problem cutting some small (1/2") letters on my machine. The cuts are not following the cutting path as it shows on the screen. It starts out cutting the first line sort of ok, but after that, it distorts the curve cuts. As an example, a round dot circle is not coming out round, but almost as if it is hand drawn. The mistakes are the same each time after that, identical.

Any suggestions?

:thankyou:

CS-SignSupply-TT

I know this sounds like a broken record, but, what has changed since the cutter last cut properly? When was the last time you replaced your blade protection strip; blue tip bladeholder?

brdss

Blue tip holder, yes.

Well, the machine is used, and I think it needs a new blade. We have not used it that much at all.

Before cutting the small letters, I had cut some larger numbers for an address this afternoon. They all came out OK.

I am wondering if I am trying to go too small on the letters for my machine to handle? What is the minimum size? Even the straight line cuts are not straight on the small letters. all distorted like either the blade is not spinning freely or the material is not being fed properly. The distortion is the same on each shape, no matter where on the material it is cutting, so I don't think it is the cutting strip.

We had the same problem with our graphtec fc 8000...turns out the blade did not spin freely in the blade holder..
Test it out by taking it out and trying to spin the blade around with your finger...there should be no resistance whatsoever.

Of course I take no responsibility for you cutting yourself.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Take your index finger and run it along the length of the teflon strip (aka bps) immediately below the blade. Feel for dings, cuts, and grooves. If you detect any, its time to replace the BPS. It is not unusual to replace the bladeholder once a year, as well as the BPS. For the bladeholder, it depends on how much the cutter is used, i.e. hours a day, five days a week vs. minutes a day, twice a week. You get my meaning. Please call me or PM me if I can be of any more help.

brdss

We had the same problem with our graphtec fc 8000...turns out the blade did not spin freely in the blade holder..
Test it out by taking it out and trying to spin the blade around with your finger...there should be no resistance whatsoever.

Of course I take no responsibility for you cutting yourself.

I extended the blade and spun it. The only resistance I can feel at all is what seems to be the spring turning. Is that normal? It is very very slight. Other than that, there is no resistance.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Look through Blade Holder!

Unscrew the bottom of the holder and look through the holder itself, (not the part that screws off). If the star shape has sharp points, you need to change the holder. If it has round points it may be your cut strip or blade.

brdss

what is the smallest letter size this plotter can cut? I will attach a pic in a few minutes.

Its hard to tell what resistance you should be feeling but when we did it, it was obvious.
(of course we had another plotter to compare it to.)
The graphtec guy told us to try that.
Also I mashed a spring a bit so that it wasn't so tight..and we made it out without having to buy a new bladeholder. Of course there is also the length of the blade (coming out of the bottom) which could be an issue.

They say try plotting with a pen to see isolate whether or not it is the carriage or the holder that isnt working.

brdss

Unscrew the bottom of the holder and look through the holder itself, (not the part that screws off). If the star shape has sharp points, you need to change the holder. If it has round points it may be your cut strip or blade.

they look round to me!

CS-SignSupply

Another issue with a loose cut head assembly in my opinion.

Take the blade holder OUT and push the blade holder arm DOWN until it bottoms out... then push a little harder. If it moves further down, loose cuthead assembly.

Slop in the cut carriage will cause all kinds of inconsistencies.

brdss

Pushed down as you suggested. Once it bottoms out, without bending anything there is no extra movement.

brdss

ok, here is a pic. The bottom dot is the first one cut, the other two followed. Also shown is some of the letters. Had to take the pic at an angle due to the glare. These are SUPPOSED to be round dots! lol

Attachments

• plotter pic.jpg
    plotter pic.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 139

brdss

Force 25 (tried adjust that a little down from the last cut job, as I thought it was cutting a little too deep into the backing paper)

speed 25

quality 1

offset 0

wildside

take the blade out of the holder

spray holder thoroughly with canned compressed air

place a drop of 3 in 1 oil in the holder

reassemble and go

works for us every time, and if still not quite right, change your blade

brdss

OK, will blow it out, oil it up, and try it again!

Thanks for all the suggestions! You guys rock!

brdss

Took it all apart, used compressed air through it and oiled it all up!

Partial success! It definitely helped a lot. I had oiled it a few weeks ago, as per a thread here on maintenance, but I guess it was not enough. While the cutting is not 100% true, at least it does not look hand cut! It will do until I can order some blades.

Thanks guys for all the help! :bushmill: