• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC7000 MK2 or Mimaki CG 130SR2

grafigo

Hi, I have been offered a used FC7000 130cm MK2, refurbished and with 1 year warranty at a just slightly lower price than new Mimaki cg130SR2.

So I am now in dilemma, which cutter should i go for. I recently bought Roland versa art 640 and i would like to pair it up with a cutter with optical eye for countour cutting.

I know that FC 7000 was till recently been the flagship of Graphtec, and that Mimaki's answer was the FX series, not the CG SR. But now, when Graphtec has FC8000 series, and the Mimaki has FX2, should i even consider that CG SR2 series could be competitor for FC 7000.

Precision is VERY important to my customers. Perf-cutting (die cutting, half cutting?) is a bonus but not the decision maker.

Most of all, i would like to hear opinions from the peoples who owns/owned
this new mimaki's model.

Could anyone point me in the right direction towards my decision?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Well I have the FC7000 here and had the CGSRII here for a few weeks. (sent it back)

I can tell you without doubt that the Graphtec beats that Mimaki model hands down.

Build quality - the Mimaki looks like a cheap ebay plotter, plastic and lightweight.

Speed - The Graphtec is twice as fast - even when it's not running flat out. I've tested the exact same files on both machines, the Mimaki is slow especially curves.

They both contour cut well - and the Mimaki is supposed to be better for half cut/perf cut due to the softer cutting strip, but they are pretty close there.

The Graphtec is a bit more user friendly - the Mimaki has that stupid remote/local button you have to keep changing.

The Mimaki doesn't even have a sheet cut off!

The Graphtec just cuts so much better - with Tangential emulation it cuts and weeds incredibly well.
The Mimaki is okay but just not in the same league.

Don't even think about it. If you can get the FC-7000 cheaper than a CG-SR you better go for it quick.

grafigo

Thanks for the reply guys. Must say, the only reason for even thinking about this "cutter fight" is that Graphtec is 2 years old and the Mimaki is new. On the other hand, i do get Graphtec with the 1 year warranty, and they supposed to be indestructible, right?

Fuzzbuster

I dont know about indestructible but my fc7000 mk2 has been flawless

i`ve own/ed serveral makes and when i replace this one it will be with another graphtec.

good luck

Rat_Fink

Graphtec cutters are great, but no indestructible.

At the time - the FC7000 series were the pro models & perhaps the best cutter you can get aside from the pro Summa models.

I have a FC7000 42" model that worked flawlessly for just under 4 years, but suddenly would no longer power up. It is at the tech awaiting repair, but it's prob a shorted main board.

I like the cutter enough that I purchased a new model (FC8000) to use in the meantime.

I'm not sure what deal you can get on the refurb, but if it is not a bunch lower than new, you should prob spring for new with full warranty.

Check prices - I just got one hellava deal on the FC800 cutter.

R.F.

roadrage

We have a Mimaki CG160 and a FC 8000. The Mimaki can track much longer than the Graphtec and can pull from the roll without pre-unwinding. It has a sheet cut feature. The Mimaki is more expensive and yes the control panel is kind of a pain in the ass until you get it figured out, but ours is 4 years old and gets run everyday. It also cuts reflective better than any machine I've ever owned. As far as the FC 8000, it tracks like s**t in long runs and depending on the width of the vinyl, you have to figure out how many rollers to use to make it track more than a couple feet. I was disipointed in the FC 8000 as it was my third Graphtec and I though it would be as good as the ones in the past. I'm sure some of you have some tips on how to run this machine but ours sat in my shop 9 months doing nothing while I worked the hell out of my Mimaki.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil

We have a Mimaki CG160...
It has a sheet cut feature.
Roadrage, the OP is asking about the CG-SR model.
I'm not sure if these are available in US but they have been released elsewhere as a kind of "bottom of the range" model.
This is not a CG-FX cutter - unfortunately.

It's like it's been built down to a price. Over here it's half the price of a FC8000 (both brand new).

It's cheap looking plastic body and platen, slow, noisy when idle, has no option to continue on errors, No sheet cut off, No front sensor so you have to manually jog to the front edge every time you load, and it doesn't show the sheet size.

Back to the OP:
If you can put up with that then it's an okay cutter.
Or if it's your first cutter you probably wouldn't know any different.
You might even think it's actually necessary by design to have to press Local/Host/Local/Host/Local/Host all the time. :frustrated:

grafigo

Thanks guys, Neil especially.

I decided to go with the Graphtec, it seems that it's so better machine than the CG-SR + I work very long with the company which is selling it to me. I already bought two machines from them and they have been super super great in support in and outside warranty time.

Thanks again to all you guys.