• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC8600-130 inconsistent cutting depth

patrickj75

I recently put in a new blade like I normally do every 8 months or so and the cutting depth has been really inconsistent. It’s never been like this before. I’m cutting 21mil material. Could the material itself have inconsistent thickness?

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
From my experience it could be a couple of things.

Is your cutting strip in good condition? They need to be replaced periodically, especially after you accidentally cut through the material and backing.

What type of material is it? Some brands and types are more consistent in thickness, some not.
Are you using the proper blade for that material?
Have you looked at your blade tip under a loupe?
Is the plastic housing around the tip of the blade clean of adhesive/bits of vinyl?

Lastly, the 8600 is an older machine at this point, it may need some servicing/cleaning. Dust and debris can keep all the tiny moving parts in the plotter head assembly from moving the blade up and down properly.

patrickj75

From my experience it could be a couple of things.

Is your cutting strip in good condition? They need to be replaced periodically, especially after you accidentally cut through the material and backing.

What type of material is it? Some brands and types are more consistent in thickness, some not.
Are you using the proper blade for that material?
Have you looked at your blade tip under a loupe?
Is the plastic housing around the tip of the blade clean of adhesive/bits of vinyl?

Lastly, the 8600 is an older machine at this point, it may need some servicing/cleaning. Dust and debris can keep all the tiny moving parts in the plotter head assembly from moving the blade up and down properly.
My cutting strip is the original one so I'll look at replacing that and cleaning the plotter head. I use Substance Inc. material. I've been using it for probably 8 years at this point. This issue has only popped up recently.
I think I'm using a 60 degree 1.15 for that material.

Joe House

Easiest thing and typically the most overlooked culprit. It's amazing what a little slit in that will do.
Just make sure that you get all of the old adhesive off before you put the new cutting strip on, or the new strip will have bumps under it that will give you the same problem. You can remove it with elbow grease or I found the last time that if I use Roland cleaning fluid the adhesive comes off really easily You could also use adhesive remover or goof off. Just follow up with an Isopropyl wipe afterwards and let everything dry before putting down the new cutting strip.

Good Luck

Last edited: