Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FC8600 Question

Discussion in 'Graphtec' started by Commando, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    So I am having problems with the right side cutting all the way through. The left side is perfectly weedable.
    I can have pressure all the way up and it still wont cut through. I have replaced pen holder and strip.
    I have paid close attention to the belt for the motor and everything seems consistent all the way through.
    Any other ideas?

Tags:
  2. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Same problem on ALL vinyl you are attempting to cut?

3. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    yep. Plain black, 3m EG, laminated materials.. doesnt matter

4. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    I know you replace the strip. But when there is no material on the machine. Does it feel like it is higher on the right side than the left? It's pretty easy to tell you just take a piece of vinyl and try to run it through. See if it hits the cutting strip on one side but not the other.

Sometimes glue residue or something else could be under the Strip, and even if it is a new one, if it's not installed perfect, it would cause even issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    Seems fine

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Is the plotter sitting terrifically unlevel?
    How long has it been doing this? How wide is the material this is happening to? Only 48" or even on 24"? Are all of the rollers set to the same tension(this doesn't seem to have any impact, but worth a look)? Do you have the bladeholder in the proper position, and minimal blade sticking out?

7. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    Completely level.
    About 2 or 3 weeks. Plotter is 2 or 3 years old. All sizes. 18"-48". All same tension, I assume. Never messed with them since a tech hooked everything up. bladeholder and blade is good.
    I was cutting some 3M EG with laminate the other day, had pressure ALL the way up, and blade sticking out extra far and it still didnt cut through. I had to finish them on the other FC we have.

8. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    I guess I should mention one of the roller assemblies are "loose" meaning even with handle up, you can still move it.
    But that has been loose for a while now and this problem is more recent.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    So try taking 24", and just use two of the rollers (or 3 if you have 4 total rollers), leave the extra roller just like it would be on wider material, then try to plot something within that 24" region. If it cuts fine, I'd wager the roller not holding the material down is just as detrimental as the cutting strip being raised up, especially on thicker materials.

10. karst41

karst41 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Stone Mountain, GA
    On the back side of the Plotter you have a lever for Each Roller.
    Make sure all are Down. ( sorry I forget what they are called)

If one or two is in the Mid or Up position you will have issues.

If all levers are down, then get it serviced.
    A Service call is $300 or $400 so what, that Graphtec is your Race Horse.

11. JulieS

JulieS Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    I had what sounds like exactly the same problem and found that I was putting the blade holder into the tool holder incorrectly so that the "flange" wasn't holding it down. Hard to explain. It should have been common sense, I guess, but I was following the user manual directions. I think the directions are misleading and/or incomplete on that point. SO, if you're a "read-the-directions" type person like I am, maybe this could also be your problem ;-)

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I used to have an employee that could never get the knife put back in right. He'd pen a pattern, then I'd go run 10' of translucent vinyl, only to throw it away because 75% was not actually cut through, because the f*cking kife just got pushed upward at one point.
    I don't think that's the issue here if it's consistently not cutting one side, but worth a look!

13. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    I have gotten to the point where i think this is an electrical issue. Nothing else makes sense. So, I had this bright idea to do a factory reset. It didnt help :(
    Im wondering if its the mother board

14. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    So, I just fixed the problem. Its weird though...
    All i did was move the pen to the other slot in the holder and brought the blade out a tad. Its cutting like it should. At least with thin black vinyl.

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Huzzah!

16. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    Got it going AND im saving on strips! lol

17. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    Doesnt solve print/plot jobs though :/

18. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Like the left side is still cut fine, right side is unweedable? Or it does not want to read registration marks?

19. Commando

Commando Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    Yes. I have to move the needle back into the proper place on the holder or it cuts off. In doing so, the right side still wont weed. Exact same spot. Every. Time. Blows my mind.
    I have a tech coming next week with my new printer.. i am going to get him to check it out.

20. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I think you can put the blade in the other slot, and just adjust the offset appropriately. That or selecting the different tool position under the condition>assign tool> then change it to tool 3

• Like Like x 1