• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC8600 - Service Contract?

BVG

The dealer we bought our FC8600-160 from 12 months ago is now hounding us to buy a yearly service contract for ~$620 a year.

We don't feel like it's worth it, however they seem quite adamant that we should (to the point they automatically billed the invoice to our account and we're now having to get it removed).

Should we cancel it or is it worth paying ~10% of the price of a new cutter each year for the service contract???

greysquirrel

I would not carry a service contract on a vinyl cutter...but everyone needs to decide what's right for their business...if you have a bunch of hands using your equipment...it may be worth it...

ikarasu

No. Graphtec are tanks... They don't die.

Static and voltage are the main things that'll kill a graphtec. Invest in a $50 ups that will protect it from voltage drops... It's a better investment than a $600 contract is.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Hah, our supplier did that as well... promptly called them up and told them to cancel it. It's been 2.5 years and still no issues with the machine.

But now that I've written this, I expect a full meltdown tomorrow when I walk into the workshop :p

BVG

Hah, our supplier did that as well... promptly called them up and told them to cancel it. It's been 2.5 years and still no issues with the machine.

But now that I've written this, I expect a full meltdown tomorrow when I walk into the workshop :p
I have a strong suspicion it's the same supplier haha ... Definitely a bit of a slimey sales tactic.

CanuckSigns

What does the service contract cover? Consumables for plotters are basically the cutting strip, blades and grit rollers. Cutting strips should last year's, blades are cheap and grit rollers can go 5+ years of heavy use and still be perfect.

Sounds like a pure profit centre for your supplier, prying on newcomers to the industry who don't know any better. I don't think I would ever deal with this supplier again if they pulled this on me.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Never buy a service contract on anything. If a service contract costs $X then it's certain that whoever is selling the contract does not expect your machine to require $X of service for that period. Take the bet, you'll be money ahead.

BVG

What does the service contract cover? Consumables for plotters are basically the cutting strip, blades and grit rollers. Cutting strips should last year's, blades are cheap and grit rollers can go 5+ years of heavy use and still be perfect.

Sounds like a pure profit centre for your supplier, prying on newcomers to the industry who don't know any better. I don't think I would ever deal with this supplier again if they pulled this on me.
Seems spot on. When I pushed for information over the phone all they could tell me was it covered "parts and labour". I've got it all cancelled now thankfully.