• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fear of falling: safety on ladders?

bayviewsignworks

We're lettering 53 trailers and have been using two ladders with a plank on the steps. We get higher than 6' and it is dangerous. What does everyone do to be OSHA and common sense compliant? I'm going get a couple harnesses but I still wonder what everyone else is doing.

bayviewsignworks

Fear of falling...

Yes but most of the time our space is limited and we're constantly moving them. Do you happen to have a picture of what you use? Do you use a harness?

Pat Whatley

Scaffolding. You want to letter 53 trailers from walkboards go right ahead but personally I'd work out a way to use scaffolding before I ever got started.

klemgraphics

Scaffolding. You want to letter 53 trailers from walkboards go right ahead but personally I'd work out a way to use scaffolding before I ever got started.
I use to use walkboards outside, now that I can get them inside the shop we use rolling scaffolding. It paid for itself on the first trailer it was used on, plus I haven't had to visit the hospital due to any falls. No way would I ever get out the walkboard for them anymore.

Craig Sjoquist

53 trailers or 53 foot trailers
anyway when I hand lettered them years back we would park them side by side about 6-7 ft plus apart roll scaffold in planks in between and do two sides at once sorta speak
finish 5 in 2 days

MikePro

i use 2 little giants and the plank, as well... its only 6' above the ground, there's no OSHA standard for that.

if you're really worried about it, setup scaffolding... its cheap to rent if you don't have your own. just keep driving trucks through it like a gas pump, letter-em up, and keep em moving!

John L

Go to your local commercial building supply warehouse (the one that sells drywall by the tractor trailer load, not home depot) and buy a "baker scaffold" for about $450. Do not get the harbor freight version or the real narrow, hinged version with the loose metal plank boards the home centers sell.

cajun312

If the lettering on the trailer isn't way up at the top, I like to work out the back of my pick up truck, standing on the bed rail. Not the safest way but it works for me. For the higher stuff I use a scaffold, I hate to work from a ladder.

TheSnowman

You are doing FIFTY THREE trailers? If I had to move ladders around that much for that, I'd lose my mind. We have a scissors lift, so I'd be using that. If you can snag a good deal on renting one, I'd think it would save you a lot of time...but I know budget probably wouldn't allow room for that. That's a lot of moving ladders.

blueben

I use a scissor lift for most things. They are fairly cheap to rent just make sure you figure that in your cost for installation. We just did 40 Trailers about a month ago and that made it really easy for us. It also helps that my brother in la owns an equipment rental place as well. I pretty much come get what i need and pay him with stickers for the equipment and whatever else he needs.

BobM

Baker staging with safety rails on wheels. With the platform on the top level you are in just the right position to letter a 13'6" high trailer. Doesn't take up to much room, plenty of stability, room for rolls of graphics, tools, completly safe. Retails for about $700. One person can set up and take down. Ideal.

johnnysigns

I've never been able to wrap or letter trailers faster than using walkboards and ladders. You can hang three to four panels before moving the setup. Scaffolding will have you at two or three at the most and a scissor lift isn't much different.

Generally a 53' footer is 13'6" so it can get a little wobbly when you're that high on the rungs, but I had good success in switching to larger fiberglass ladders that were much more stable for those clients.

andy

We used to spec our panel vans with a fully decked roof platform and a little ladder bolted onto the back door... pretty cheap, easy to move :) and ready to use as soon as you hit site.

CheapVehicleWrap

You are doing FIFTY THREE trailers? If I had to move ladders around that much for that, I'd lose my mind. We have a scissors lift, so I'd be using that. If you can snag a good deal on renting one, I'd think it would save you a lot of time...but I know budget probably wouldn't allow room for that. That's a lot of moving ladders.

I would certainly hope there's room in the budget to rent a scissors lift doing 53 trailers. If not, something is seriously wrong.

Signguyno1

Here are several pict's of steeple jack installing a weather vane I restored for a local church.

Note the extesion ladder with another ladder tied too it so as to reach the top, installer had a safety rope tied around his waist and to the ladder about fifteen feet below himself.

Attachments

• new-2.jpg
    new-2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 73
  • new-3.jpg
    new-3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 86
  • new-4.jpg
    new-4.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 84
  • new-6.jpg
    new-6.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 84

1leonchen

invest in a scaffolding with wheels.ladders work great though. a harness is not going to work the snap rope is between 4 - 6 feet stretch or other wise u will be in serious pain when u fall. stop looking down and fretting about the fall. the more u worry about falling the more u will fall. i have been to 7 floors no harness.crazy yes and no. a harness makes u cowardly( my opinion) and restrict flexibility.

GypsyGraphics

Here are several pict's of steeple jack installing a weather vane I restored for a local church.

HOLY SH!T... that's insane!

oh the irony... putting up a whether vain and praying for NO WIND!
even God had to be thinking... wouldn't it be funny if...

Last edited: