• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Federal Government Suppliers - Is it a scam?

TheSnowman

I had this guy from Florida contact me about being on the Federal Government Suppliers list. He says that apparently I've been on a waiting list for several years from doing some work with a government agency. He proceeds to tell me that there are 6 contractors for each "category" in this book that works within my 90 mile radius. Basically anything they need quoted that's under $2,500 they don't have to get a second quote, and there's giant jobs being thrown around constantly.

The examples he gave me would be a huge boost to my one man shop, and he says that basically you get half of the jobs that you quote. Between me and all my subs available, I'm pretty efficient, so I'm not worried about a "work load" but I'm worried about throwing $500 away and hating my life because I took a "too good to be true" scenario that really was too good to be true.

Anyone on this list, or ever been on it?

binki

1) you are on a waiting list you didnt apply for
2) there is a limited number available to be on the list
3) it costs $500

Add them all up and it equals scam!

TheSnowman

He is giving me examples of company's and the scope of the projects, and telling me to look him up on the BBB and saying there's lots of guys that'd be glad to work with me that made over 5 million last year that can't be on the list anymore, so fourth and so on.

I'm wondering if I should ask him for some of those contacts, confirm they are legit, and then call the owners and see if it's the real deal. I also have a friend that works with the Federal Gov't on the Army Corp of Engineers. He said he could probably call the guy and talk to him and by asking certain questions know if he knows what he's talking about, and if he's legit.

I hate to pass it up if for some reason it's real, but I also hate to lose the $500, and in every experience like this so far that's been a "work for the government" scenario...it's always a big time waster that doesn't end up being anything in the end.

TheSnowman

Do you suppose this is a red flag? LOL. I can't find much else on it. He says he's with "Federal Government Suppliers" and his number is 407-542-7251.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 114

xxaxx

Do you suppose this is a red flag? LOL. I can't find much else on it. He says he's with "Federal Government Suppliers" and his number is 407-542-7251.
attachment.php

Well to be fair, it only has 1 complaint as being a scammer, so that 100% is a bit misleading. But still, I would think that is pretty much guaranteed a scam.

JgS

That sounds more like the way an oil company would operate than the government.

Craig Malmberg

I have subscribe to a company like this in the past. They will give you a directory etc. but I never got any leads or any thing else. Save your money.

Craig Sjoquist

Someone answered phone but not any names you said.

Orlando is called the mouth of a wolf, because of so many scams ways to go broke quick.

TheSnowman

I don't know then...they've all been "Mark" so far. Someone else called the day before to set my "meeting" up. I'm going to pass anyway. It's just sad that stuff like this keeps existing. It's way easier to fall for something like this (for me) than a random email spelled horrifically wrong ordering all the "save the children" banners.

Billct2

You have a friend with Army Corp connections, ask how they selct their vendors for bids.
I'll bet anything you can get on the lists without paying any big money, just by following the protocol.

TheSnowman

Yea, I already talked to that friend. He said he could get me in the book too if I wanted to be along with the 100's of 1000's of other people in the book. It's just a "too good to be true" scenario, because that's the real situation here.

MikePro

If you're willing to pay $500 to be put on a "list", then I've got some islands on the wisconsin river to sell ya for just a lil' more :)

Marlene

we have a lot of gov jobs. the ones we have had either came from the contractor they hire or directly from them. we do get calls from companies making claims like the one that called you. I would assume scam

TheSnowman

No worries cause I'm not gonna do it. It's kinda ballsy of him to say "look me up on the BBB" when a google search of his phone number brought up "scam". Just the fact that ANY phone number would bring that up is enough to not use whatever that phone number is connected to in my opinion.

Hicalibersigns

If you are really interested in getting on the list do a little research. You don't have to pay anyone anything. There is some paperwork to fill out and that gets you on the list. That is all. I know people that have been on the list and they say that unless you go out and work that sector for sales, just like you work any other sector then it doesn't mean very much. Here is a link to a list of the 93 sign category contractors that are on the list. http://www.gsaelibrary.gsa.gov/ElibMain/sinDetails.do?executeQuery=YES&scheduleNumber=78&flag=&filter=&specialItemNumber=366+11

To be fair the DIY apprpoach does result in a high rate of rejections, and there are legitimate companies out there that will do all the paperwork for you for a fee. Here is a legit one, and as you can see their fee is just a bit north of $500.00.

http://www.simplegsa.com/our-services/

Gotta think that if this were a goldmine, there would be more than 93. Also note that there are a lot of the big boys on there like APCO and ASI. I'm sure that these guys have sales staff dedicated to Government sales.

Here is the official Gubmint page on how to get on the GSA Schedule.

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/198473

Marlene

It's kinda ballsy of him to say "look me up on the BBB"

some people won't bother to lookthem up after hearing them suggest it as they figure they wouldn't suggest it unless they were legit. scams work because they have some real info mxed in with the fake, sound real and do their best to make it seem like if you check up on them, all will be OK.