• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FedEx expanded their sign capabilities?

OlsonSigns601

Lets just say, places like FedEx selling signs at the price they do, is nothing but good business for me.

We are actually the back up for banners one of the stores not to far from us for when their printer goes down.

Last week one of their customers cancelled their order with them because it was 3 times the price we offer. Word of mouth got us the job, not a flash commericial.

CropMarks

I wouldn't worry at all... I was a manager for Kinko's/FedEx Office for 14 years before my partners and I decided we couldn't take it any longer and started our own thing. Their pricing is way out of whack with what the rest of the industry does (24x36 foam core print for 89.99 when I was there 2 years ago) Ask for a full color double sided corrugated sign and see what the price is... funny stuff. Water-based HP banners that scratch if you look at them wrong... unless they send out to one of their flagships that does a horrid crap job. When I was there it was "who are we going to fire that makes a lot of money to cut down on payroll?".... It's turned into a McDonalds of the sign and print industry.

Pat Whatley

We heard a couple of years ago they were going to put in print hubs around the country. Small stuff would be run in-house, everything else would be produced in the hub on an array for flatbed and roll to roll printers and shipped to the location overnight.

Haven't heard anything about that happening though. You can laugh at their "overpriced" pricing but I'm willing to bet they put a whole hell of a lot of research into establishing their pricing structure than 99% of the people here.

Matt-Tastic

FedExOffice has had Closed Print Centers (CPCs) for years that produce product on everything from EDGE2s to VuTek Flatbeds. There are only about 15 of them nationwide, but they are placed to offer their biggest markets access. The rest of the stores have indoor printers (HP z6100s) and some have an EDGE/EnVision setups as well.

The biggest strength of these places is the 24/7 access. The biggest weakness is the lack of knowledge many of them have. The ones that have a good staff that can sell the product to regular copy/print customers have far more to offer than your typical sign shop.

A sign shops biggest asset will always be quality and professionalism, not price.

EDIT: They also can send or receive a job from anywhere in the world, to anywhere any the country, by utilizing the internet and the fact that they are FedEx.

Last edited:

CS-SignSupply-TT

Fedex hubs

We heard a couple of years ago they were going to put in print hubs around the country. Small stuff would be run in-house, everything else would be produced in the hub on an array for flatbed and roll to roll printers and shipped to the location overnight.

Haven't heard anything about that happening though. You can laugh at their "overpriced" pricing but I'm willing to bet they put a whole hell of a lot of research into establishing their pricing structure than 99% of the people here.

Pat, they have a HUB in Alpharetta, GA that includes a VUTEK GS2000 http://w3.efi.com/vutek/products/gs2000, as well as HPZ6100's, etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah...... and Dunkin' Donuts got into the fast food industry while all the gas stations are now selling groceries and deli sandwiches. No one's hurting no one. You want cheap.... you'll go to a cheap place to get your signs and banners made. You want quality, you'll go to a good sign shop. Set yourself apart from the other dish!ts in the area and you'll do fine.

SD&F

I personally believe that certain customers will use FedEx, they want it fast and they believe that they are a hugh company and it will include quality. I think that what most people find is that most of these centers are staffed with personnel that market everything and do not know enough about anything. We all need to concentrate on keeping our quality and customer service as the priority of our business and we will be fine. We offer the luxury of signage and some people just use cardboard and a pen.