• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Feedback for business plan

oc63rag

I'm putting together a business plan for a banner/sign/digital print business. I'm starting with applications and markets and trying to calculate costs to figure out my break even point.

This is what I'm looking at so far:
New Seiko Colorpainter 64s - $20K
HPZ3100 (44") - $6K
Laminator - used 55" Daige Quickmount 3 for about $500, or just go with Big Squeegee (need to mount and cold laminate)
Roland GX-24 (almost brand new for $1200, with software)

What are your thoughts on the equipment and the prices?

Thanks for any help.

The Seiko ColorPainter 64s has been re-branded worldwide (except Japan) as the HP Designjet 9000s, for over a year now. Finding a brand new 64s in the USA would be unusual.

I would look at the Z6100 (brand new, not shipping until June). The 42 inch unit will sell for around the same price.

Stay away from the Daige...you're just asking for trouble in my opinion.

The Roland cutter is fine.

Bob

oc63rag

The Seiko ColorPainter 64s has been re-branded worldwide (except Japan) as the HP Designjet 9000s, for over a year now. Finding a brand new 64s in the USA would be unusual.

I would look at the Z6100 (brand new, not shipping until June). The 42 inch unit will sell for around the same price.

Stay away from the Daige...you're just asking for trouble in my opinion.

The Roland cutter is fine.

Bob

Thanks for the reply. The Colorpainter is actually a demo unit that comes with full warranty. It's only been in one shop (Seiko dealer) for about four months.

Thanks for the heads up on the Daige. Will the big squeegee do the same work? I've seen the videos and heard nothing but positive comments about it but is seems like it has to have some limitations when compared to a roller laminator. Basically I want to mount and laminate prints up to about 54" wide.

Is $1,200 a fair price for a GX-24?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Don't let the low price fool you!

... Will the big squeegee do the same work? I've seen the videos and heard nothing but positive comments about it but is seems like it has to have some limitations when compared to a roller laminator. Basically I want to mount and laminate prints up to about 54" wide. ...
The Big Squeegee will do an adequate job for a small shop. My customers have often told me that they have fewer ruined prints with the Big Squeegee as with low end laminators.

There are some that accept the limitations at a lower level than others. Limitations are what you make them. If you spent as much time working out the limitations as you would on the adjustments and learning the operation of a roll laminator, the limitations would be less than that of the roll laminator. There are many that would argue that roll laminators are so much easier to use. I wonder if they stopped to think about how much extra work they would have to do to make that job easier.

Yes, it is quite common to laminate a 54 inch print with the Big Squeegee. If you do move beyond what you feel comfortable with for the Big Squeegee, you will still be able to use it for the small jobs or for the jobs that require rewebing to get the right laminate. It is far easier to use the Big Squeegee than to reweb the laminator twice(one to get what you want and one to put it back to the other laminate). It also saves on materials when a reweb is avoided.

Why would you want a roll laminator instead of the Big Squeegee? When you are printing many prints that need laminating in a long roll and do so consistently. If you do this kind of job occasionally then you can still do it with the Big Squeegee.

Why would you want a Big Squeegee instead of a roll laminator? This could be a book.:rolleyes: The Big Squeegee is small and can go anywhere you need it. Can you use a roll laminator to put vinyl on store windows or car doors? The limits of the Big Squeegee are far less than a roll laminator.

Why pay out the big bucks for an occasional large job? Use the money you save to buy a fishing license and go fishing. After all, you won't have to work quite so hard to pay for all that equipment.

Okay, so I got a little long winded here. Where are all my customers when I need them? Maybe they went fishing.:thumb:

vinylbarry

Ok one comment big squeegee :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :U Rock:

Love mine dont know what i did before it but thumbs up!!!!!!

Roland good way to go:Cool 2:

My 2 cents
Good luck in your venture and it is from day one.

Barry
Ky

high impact

I can't comment on the printer but you can't go wrong with the big squeegee.

I also don't think you can go wrong with a Daige 55" for $500! That's a good buy if it's in good condition. I have a Daige and although it has it's little issues it works excellent for me! I use it all the time with no problems whatsoever, you just need to take some time to learn how.