• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Feeds and Speeds help

Wesley Powell

Account Rep
Okay everyone, so I'm still fairly new to CNC world and I'm looking for some knowledge you all may have. My parents are redoing their bathroom, so I'm making them a new vanity and closet out of Maple Plywood. I have everything designed and ready to go but I'm just curious what kind of settings and bits you've found have worked best for you. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and also we have a Laguna Smartshop M router for reference.

MoultrieMade

For 3/4" plywood, I use a 2-flute, 3/8" compression bit, 19,000 rpm, ~150 ipm. I do two passes - one climb cut, almost full-depth (leaving a thin onion-skin to help with vacuum hold-down), followed by another full-depth conventional cut. The climb cut is good for hogging out a lot of material, as any machine deflection will move the bit away from the cut line. The very light conventional-cut pass takes care of the material left from that deflection, and leaves a very nice edge on plywood.

I could probably double that feedrate and still be ok, but plywood jobs are usually one-off's' for me, so I'm not in a hurry. This is with a 5hp spindle.

Josh Martinez

X-Edge Products Excellent Speed, Excellent Quality
Okay everyone, so I'm still fairly new to CNC world and I'm looking for some knowledge you all may have. My parents are redoing their bathroom, so I'm making them a new vanity and closet out of Maple Plywood. I have everything designed and ready to go but I'm just curious what kind of settings and bits you've found have worked best for you. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and also we have a Laguna Smartshop M router for reference.

Wesley,

Do you still need help with feeds and speed for your router? I work for a tool mfg and can would like to help. https://www.xedgetools.com/x-edge-store/ROUTER-BITS-c49357169

What size is your spindle and do you have a tool changer?

Best regards,

Josh

Josh Martinez

Josh,

Our machine has a 5.5 hp spindle and yes we have an automatic tool changer.

Wesley,

I would use a 1/4" or 3/8" compression bit. This will give you a clean top and bottom finish. The thing with compression bit is that you have to run it at a high feed rate so tool does not get hot. When the tool gets hot it will dull quickly. What tools do you have? How thick is your maple plywood?

Josh

Wesley Powell

Account Rep
Wesley,

I would use a 1/4" or 3/8" compression bit. This will give you a clean top and bottom finish. The thing with compression bit is that you have to run it at a high feed rate so tool does not get hot. When the tool gets hot it will dull quickly. What tools do you have? How thick is your maple plywood?

Josh
I'm using an Amana Tool 46170-K CNC SC Spektra Extreme Tool Life Coated Compression Spiral 1/4 D x 7/8 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/2 Inch Long 2 Flute Router Bit and the plywood is 3/4".

Josh Martinez

I'm using an Amana Tool 46170-K CNC SC Spektra Extreme Tool Life Coated Compression Spiral 1/4 D x 7/8 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/2 Inch Long 2 Flute Router Bit and the plywood is 3/4".

I can give you the info for our tool that is comparable. With router your size run the 1/4" compression bit 20,000 RPM at 250 IPM, 2 passes, conventional cut. Hope this helps.

Josh