• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Few questions about SC 545EX

Spud

What's most people running for their profiles? Just wondering i'm still learning alot about the color profiles and such.. Anyone know of a site to really learn about color profiles, etc - maybe be in conjunction with flexi?

Also, RIPing - anything to make it faster? Is it more dependable on the computer or is there anything that can make it faster? Sometimes smaller files RIP longer on high quality then bigger size files on artistic. weird!

I'm using versaworks, have a p4 with 1 gig of ram, 256 graphics card (not sure which one) and some other goodies...

any suggestions?

ChiknNutz

Profiling is a difficult task to master, and I know very little about it. The widely suggested method is to have a professional walk you thru it, on-site, which is expensive to do. Another site, printingdigital.net, has lots of good info on the subject. The guy 'eye4clr' is the resident expert on profiling. I, too, would like to learn a lot more about this, but it sounds like learning on your own can be painful and time-consuming.

2GB RAM would help, but the most significant improvement is the fastest processor you can afford/justify. Having a separate RIP-only computer is also recommended, though certainly not a requirement.

Spud

Yeah I figured having a separate computer for RIPing would be ideal - but doubt it'll be feasible here.. ugh!

Yeah so i've heard about profiling - i've learned ALOT the past 8 months, but nothing near what is out there. I'm sure there is alot of research and trial and error through the process which I haven't had time lately to try...

I'll check out the site i'm sure there's tons of info there that could help.

threeputt

Chris do you currently have 2 gig RAM? I only have 1 gig but am going to go out and purchase some more. When you're tossing a 750meg file backand forth it's a little slow.

ChiknNutz

Yes I do currently run 2GB of DDR RAM. The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (running 32-bit, not 64-bit), which in actuality is about 1.83 GHz in actual processing speed (Intel and AMD have slightly different ways of going about it).

javila

I'm runnng everything through versaworks, cause I can't find any plug and play profiles for flexi sign. Planning on a color proofer in the next 6 months though.

As far as file ripping, I'm sticking to jpegs, as the tiffs I was producing were way too big and time consuming. Rip while printing and I have no problems with the rip backing up, but I do have 3 gigs of ram on this computer P4 3.2 gigs. I do other things while the rip is running without a problem.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that I can't rip and print with nested, or duplicated files on versaworks. =/ Gotta wait for it to rip before it starts printing.

ChicagoGraphics

Hey javila
I use Onyx & a seperate computer w/10GB ram as a print server networked to my design station there I use flexi pro & adobe CS with a colour spectromitor what a difference it makes from using what roland or any other print mfg. sells you with the printer. I allways had trouble with colour choice when I use to print with my CJ-500 use to stop printing just before the print was done.
I suggest using a different rip and see what the difference is