• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

few questions on truck to trailer boat wraps

slappy

Spring is on the way and summer is getting closer and we want to do something different to our boat then the factory graphics on it. How long does a boat wrap hold up and how far can the vinyl go into the water??? I want to make the design flow from the truck to the boat... How hard is this for someone that has never done it? I'm not worried about perfect because it's ours. So it's a learning experience also.

Do you have to do anything special to the boat part? What material is used cause i'll be subbing out the print?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Do not go below the waterline with the boat wrap. With proper care it can last a few years. Very strongly suggest doing the entire side of the boat as one long peice, you want to avoid any seams if at all possible. Use 3M Edge Sealer (or seal the edges with 1/2" strips of laminate) on ALL edges where the wrap is below the rub rail. Above the rub rail is not as critical but everywhere else is. Use the same laminated wrap vinyl as you would for a vehicle. We have wrapped many many boats over the years with laminated 180CV3, and some recently with Oracal 3751 as well. All have held up fine.

Pretty much everything sightline was saying, definately do 1 piece on each side and seal very well. As far as the water line goes, as long as the boat doesn't stay in the water, you can go below the water line. But typically if it stays in the water, it will have bottom paint on it anyway which you wouldn't be able to wrap because it would defeat the purpose of it.

3M Graphics

Merchant Member
Custom graphics on boats could be a good way to diversify and grow your business. You're doing just the right thing by starting with your boat. We've got a couple of resources from our eNewsletter on the topic that you may find helpful:

"Ask the Expert" Offers Insights on Durability of Wraps for Boats

Boat Wraps: Get in on This Growing Market

Don't Miss the Boat - Put a Wrap On It!

And don't forget to subscribe to our eNewsletter if you haven't already so you can get this type of information delivered directly to you.

boxerbay

TIP: depending on your hull and the V it has you may want to mask it with transfer tape, mark the edges with a sharpie then remove and lay it on a flat wall to photograph it to use as a rough stencil. You will find deep v hulls look like a boomerang when flat.