• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fierce Wind Problems... Any Ideas?

ABPGraphics

Recently we had a client come in asking if we could re-hang a sign for him. We said sure thinking it would be a pretty easy task but when we got out we realized it might not be so easy. It's a huge log arch that he wants to hang the sign from. He previously had it bolted in with some huge hooks and some pretty hefty I-Bolts. He said the wind had blown it down several times before and that's why he had come to us. Everything that I would have thought to do he had already done. So.... any ideas?

More pictures to come.

Attachments

• Full View.jpg
    Full View.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 97
  • Hardware.jpg
    Hardware.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Sign View.jpg
    Sign View.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Bent Hook.jpg
    Bent Hook.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 97
  • Chain.jpg
    Chain.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 95

ABPGraphics

As you can see in the above pictures the hook he had in there previously was just completely gnarled so that's evidence to the fierce winds we have have to deal with here. The Big wooden "Alpine Log Mill" Sign is going to be removed and we're going to be adding 2 small Attached signs to the bottom of the big "Wood Group" Sign. I'm thinking that by removing that 100+ lb weight we might have a little more success in keeping it hung.

Attachments

• Quicky Sample.jpg
    Quicky Sample.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 73
in my experience most of this type of sign mounting fails because of the swinging motion when the wind picks up which eventually wears at the sign or the hardware itself until it fails. i always try to mount signs with a rigid bracket rather than chains so that there is NO swing. i have built more brackets than i care to remember to fix this issue with hanging signs. i have never had to go back after replacing the old chain / swinging sign issue with an appropriate rigid mounting system.

i have encoutered a couple of clients over the length of my career that insist on 'chain' for visual reasons and in those instances we have welded the chain so that there is no play in it, but i always tell them that i am going that direction because of their requirements and that it is not my recommendation and there is no warranty/guarantee, i would much rather have the sign hanging on a rigid post.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can't have that many panels hanging from chains all over the place. If you want that many free roving signs.... I'm afraid you're going to have to use some heavy metal strap and make a solid brace running up and down the outside of the sign and keep them from blowing around independently of each other. I believe your/his problem is all the inter-smashing of signs at different times and rates.

Usually little ryder panels can hang from chain, but not so pretty good for larger signs.

Also, don't sandwich your alumalite or PVC between two pieces of wood like that. That is the dumbest way to hang a sign.

Billct2

Swinging signs should swing, check chains are what cause the problem, creating twisting that works bolts loose.
Either install it as a swinging sign (with suffiecient hardware) or install it as a fixed sign.
I would set up the new sign as one large panel, not add-ons that only adds to the problem

GypsyGraphics

Is there any chance of getting them to improve the structure, rather than trying to solve the problem with hardware? Maybe with cross beams, or a hitching post style, secondary structure?

hitchingpost.jpg Structure.jpg

GypsyGraphics

If the aged wood vs new is problem, how about iron. It might be easier to attach and maybe tie it in with an iron element at the top. (more rustic, less woopdie-do than this PSD quickie)

cha ching... up-sell
ironAD.jpg

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
GG...

I'm afraid that if your sign panels are still attached with chains top, bottom and middle... you'd eventually knock those aesthetic iron free forms for a loop-tie-loo. You'll be back with the OP's original problem.

Possibly in Southern California, you might not have the same wind loads that the OP would have in Utah.

Regardless, it's not a good idea to attach so many objects with chain anywhere. Its kinda the reason big pylon sign are one solid piece for all those store names in the mall. They're all substantially connected and rely on the next one's strength to keep it all in check.

GypsyGraphics

I was assuming the chain option was already off the table. I didn't address what might take the place of the chains, but was thinking straps or rods (iron rod if iron beam)... which would in turn be attached to the cross beams.... a completely ridge structure all together.

"Regardless, it's not a good idea to attach so many objects with chain anywhere."
but... even if they wouldn't give up on the chain idea, having the cross beams at least means not attaching any two objects together.

Still I agree, no chains at all would be a much better solution.

MikePro

what about a little of both?
secure the large top portion as a rigid structure (steel) and let the bottom halves swing on chains?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What kind of winds are we talking here... 50-60 MPH? I can see signs in the background, were they damaged?

petrosgraphics

get rid of the chains!!!!! heavy straps down the sides of the panels with "U" clips welded to the straps to thru-bolt to the signs... have a metal shop make them for you if need be..
make the 2 smaller signs line up with the outer edge of the top sign allowing you to run the strap all the way to the bottom of them.....thru-bolt them also...as for the inside edge on
the smaller signs make 2 staps for them secure them to the bottom of the larger sign and
the sides of the smaller signs.. the straps with the thru-bolts should hold everything
together.... heavy eye bolts through the cross piece and you should be good to go!!!