• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File conversion Service...VE/LXI to Ai

TheSellOut

First off...Would someone be willing to open a Vinyl Express file and convert it to an Illustrator file for me? I would greatly appreciate it...LMK

OR...does anyone know of a service where you could send a bunch of VE files to be converted for a price?

AND...on that note, Would it be of any value to you if this type of service was offered on a site such as Signs101?

When I switched from stacking vinyl to printing years ago, I also gave up on upgrading my VE software, working strictly out of the Adobe suite. Now I have no access to 100's if not 1000's of old files and would love to be able to convert those files without having to buy the software.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What you will find is that font substitution will probably ruin any files where you have not converted the fonts to outlines before saving each file.

avatrx

converting to AI

I'm no expert, but can't you print those files to a PDF? Those will import into AI. you may need to tweak a little, but not much. I also thought you could save those as EPS? That also imports easily into many graphics programs.

I used to do all of my layouts in Adobe, save them as EPS version 8, and then import into my OLD VE LXi 6.6 software. so I can't imagine they won't go out the same way?

-ss

tattoo.dan

I'm no expert, but can't you print those files to a PDF? Those will import into AI. you may need to tweak a little, but not much. I also thought you could save those as EPS? That also imports easily into many graphics programs.

I used to do all of my layouts in Adobe, save them as EPS version 8, and then import into my OLD VE LXi 6.6 software. so I can't imagine they won't go out the same way?

-ss

I understood him to not have the ve/lxi software anymore, therefore not able to open and convert to eps to import to illy...

avatrx

I perhaps MIS-understood. I thought he was hoping to not buy Vector software since his comment was that he didn't want to upgrade his software. I thought he still had his old software, just an old version.

I have an old version (6.6), but still use it. I can't seem to get it installed on my WIN7, 64bit system, but worse case - I'll setup another system with WIN XP 43 bit. (yuk - don't want to do that).

Last edited:

avatrx

I have an OLD version of VE Lxi and would be happy to print to PDF for you. I don't have alot of time to do very many, but if you're in a bind - let me know. I don't profess to be an expert in VE, but I do know how to export or print to PDF. I could list the fonts if they don't show in an imported Ai file.

If your version of LX is newer then I may not be able to open them but willing to try. I know what it's like to be in a jam...........

Let me know.
-susie

DizzyMarkus

ve/lxi is a FLEXI product, any one with FLEXI can open the file and convert it

I have a buddy that comes down all the time, he has to export .eps to get it to open in Flexi (8). I don't even see the file extension listed in Flexi. Their version is a light version and I believe only works as such. If so please post how to open a lxi file directly in Flexi?

thank you,
Markus

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have a buddy that comes down all the time, he has to export .eps to get it to open in Flexi (8). I don't even see the file extension listed in Flexi. Their version is a light version and I believe only works as such. If so please post how to open a lxi file directly in Flexi?

thank you,
Markus

Change the file extension to .FS and Flexi will open it.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
FYI, since someone mentioned me. I don't have a way of converting flexi files into anything. My ai and eps files will import/open in flexi but that is a different issue. I don't own any Flexi software

avatrx

Someone thought you could covert a file for them FROM VE. I have old Flexi software so may not be able to read the newer stuff. Willing to try but haven't heard back.

Tony McD

Avatrx...I'm using LXI 6.6 v1 on windows 7 64 bit.
Had to download virtual pc and windows xp, so the programs gets installed in xp.
Takes a little time to get it setup, but it works fine.

avatrx

could you direct me to a site that explains how to do that? I thought I had found the info but ran some virtual ability test and it said that I don't have the equip.

My SIL said that if I have WIN7 Pro I should be able to do it. I'm just not sure how but wiling to spend the time. The system has a 500gb drive with only about 65gb used. so space isn't the issue.

found this site earlier but haven't had a chance to try this. is this where I start?

Download and install Windows XP Mode at Download and install Windows XP Mode at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx.

Step 1: Download Windows XP Mode
Step 2: Download Windows Virtual PC
Step 3: Update Windows XP Mode

thanks,
-susie

avatrx

Avatrx...I'm using LXI 6.6 v1 on windows 7 64 bit.
Had to download virtual pc and windows xp, so the programs gets installed in xp.
Takes a little time to get it setup, but it works fine.

I was able to download and install the virtual PC as well as the Win XP, install the FIRST disk. Since I'm going by my notes from the last time I installed this on an XP system, my notes say - reboot. I did that but the XP shell won't start. Actually it begins to start, gets about 1/3 of the way thru and then just stops.

According to my notes from the last successful install I had to install the VX software, then reboot, then run the HDD32 disk, after that install the HASP and install that software.

although the first disk seemed to install, I can't find the program anywhere. I'm assuming it's hiding under the veil of the WINXP shell which won't start. I'm also guessing that to install the 2nd and 3rd disks I would have to be in the Virtual XP mode?

Sue wish there was an easier way. Partition magic perhaps, that would allow me to partition the drive and just install WIN XP on that, boot from it and use it?

your thoughts?

thanks,
-susie