• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File conversions

Service Sign Co

I literally have hundreds of DWG & DXF files to compile on CD's all from different incompatible versions of cad, Is there a good way to do this or am I in for some very long nights? Machines are out of production and need to be re-designed

Last edited:

Service Sign Co

Thats what I thought, Hoping there was a cure all for that kind of format. Corel comes close but layers are a pain I left a message at a cad site and can only hope for a response, Unlike here there are usually a couple of folks online at other trade sites.

Last edited:

Service Sign Co

Thanks for that Tim, I believe I'll try it, when I use Corel it works on some that cad doesen't but Corel goes into not responding mode with larger dwg's

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
DWGateway worked. Anyone have experience with 3Ds Max, Solidworks or any 3-D programs?

I have some 3D experience:
Rhino (nurbs), Alibre (solids) XSI (Sub-d polys + texture,animate & render)

No CNC experience other than what I have read up on.

wayne k
guam usa

Service Sign Co

I was wondering how practical it was for renderings for monument signs and such. I know the Autodesk has a steep learning curve(for me anyway)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I was wondering how practical it was for renderings for monument signs and such. I know the Autodesk has a steep learning curve(for me anyway)

I guess it would depend on how much time you have(want) to invest in getting up to speed with rendering.

You have a bunch of options to pick from.
Pirces range from free (Blender) to several thousand dollars.

I think Rhino might be your best bet when working on Autocad files outside of Autocad. Price is just about $1K. It has a built in render engine and does a pretty good job with Acad files. They have a fully working demo so you can see if it will do what you want. Rhino support is also about the best in the business.

There are cheaper solutions but most all of them will require more work to get DWG or DFX files in and set up to render, i.e. XSI Foundation at just $500.

If you have specific questions or would like to see what could be done with one of your files let me know. I can do some sample renders and show what it took to get them set.

wayne k
guam usa