• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File Help

Angela

Hello. I am in need of some help regarding some files I am trying to print. I am familiar with Adobe Illustrator CS3, just not any of the other suites. I have files that have been sent to me from a customer they are in Adobe Acrobat. I need to place those into Illustrator for print. When I place them into Adobe the fonts default because I don't have the fonts she is sending me. I have tried flattening and exporting the files in Acrobat, but to no avail. I have tried setting them up in Photoshop and to no avail. If anyone would help me I would really appericate it. Thanks in advance

Avanti

like SignManiac said, if the file was created in illustator, there is an option under TYPE to CREATE OUTLINES, or in Corel Draw to convert to curves.
Then get her to resend file.

yahhoo

probably the fonts are embedded in the acrobat file. so getting the file resent with fonts to outlines may not be necessary. A clever fella told me this...In Illustrator use the "place" command...not "open"....when opening the file.....:)
There might be something else added to this...but i just tested it and it works....if you need more info on the "place" command (how it differs for PDF..then surely it must be in the help menu too or at Adobe.
I would assume that when you "open" the file, Illustartor wants to load the fonts to give you editing capabilities.....however you just want to print the thing right? so place the file okay?!! hehehe..Mike!

Last edited:

Angela

probably the fonts are embedded in the acrobat file. so getting the file resent with fonts to outlines may not be necessary. A clever fella told me this...In Illustrator use the "place" command...not "open"....when opening the file.....:)
There might be something else added to this...but i just tested it and it works....if you need more info on the "place" command (how it differs for PDF..then surely it must be in the help menu too or at Adobe.
I would assume that when you "open" the file, Illustartor wants to load the fonts to give you editing capabilities.....however you just want to print the thing right? so place the file okay?!! hehehe..Mike!

Please do me a favor, and give yourself and that clever fella a big huge hug for me. THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH. I have toiled with this for 2 days now. I could almost cry I am so happy. From the bottom of my heart, THANKS!!!:U Rock:

Angela

Thanks to all who replied, what yahhoo advised did work. The only thing that occured was that the actual color from the printer was slightly off. But, I"LL TAKE IT!!!! Thanks again :)

GypsyGraphics

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]PDF is a native file format for Illustrator, if the file was originally created in Illustrator and you need to be able to edit it, don't use the "place" option in Illustrator, do a "file open" from Illustrator. You wouldn't "place" an Illustrator file into an Illustrator document.

If the default presets where used to save the file as PDF, there should be no loss of data.

Of course if the fonts used were not embedded and you don't own the fonts used, or the text was not saved to outlines, you'll have to deal with the missing fonts.

A couple of option are, ask the original designer to, either provide the fonts or resave the file after converting the fonts to outlines. [/FONT]

Last edited:

iSign

also, for future reference, you can export the file out of acrobat, if you have the full CS3 suite, including acrobat (not reader, but the full version)... your export options include "postscript" which then allows choosing encapsulated postscript (resulting ion an .eps file) of .tif files (suitable for printing also, and with some degree of control on resolution, upon opening in Photoshop for example)

...and, I believe if I'm not mistaken, another pretty sharp guy around here once wrote a post about how to convert fonts to outlines in the acrobat-to-illustrator export process... and I think it was either Vid, or the Vector Doctor...

mark-s

I had a customer send me a PDF and opened it in Illustartor and converted the text
worked fine.
mark-s

iSign

I had a customer send me a PDF and opened it in Illustartor and converted the text
worked fine.
mark-s

THAT'S BRILLIANT... YOU'VE STRUCK GOLD... AN AMAZING NEW DISCOVERY!! :wink:
...and you obviously had the right font already installed...
(or a default one slipped in and nobody noticed)

Angela

also, for future reference, you can export the file out of acrobat, if you have the full CS3 suite, including acrobat (not reader, but the full version)... your export options include "postscript" which then allows choosing encapsulated postscript (resulting ion an .eps file) of .tif files (suitable for printing also, and with some degree of control on resolution, upon opening in Photoshop for example)

...and, I believe if I'm not mistaken, another pretty sharp guy around here once wrote a post about how to convert fonts to outlines in the acrobat-to-illustrator export process... and I think it was either Vid, or the Vector Doctor...

It looks like I have Illustrator, In Design & Photoshop, does this mean I do not have Acrobat? I think that sounds stupid, I think the answer is no right? Your advice is appericiated

GypsyGraphics

This is an awesome tutorial from the Vector Doctor!

But, as he says, that tutorial only works if you don't need to edit the file.
So i'm wondering...
If you have a PDF that needs to go to print "as is" and no editing is necessary... why wouldn't you just send that PDF file?

My earlier response was assuming edition was needed.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
It looks like I have Illustrator, In Design & Photoshop, does this mean I do not have Acrobat? I think that sounds stupid, I think the answer is no right? Your advice is appericiated

Do a search of your hard drive for Acrobat. If only reader comes up, then you don't have it. Though if you have those 3 listed programs it would be odd that you purchased the programs separately and did not get the CS suite which includes Acrobat Pro

GypsyGraphics

I think this is a GREAT topic... it's not just a question a new user might have...
It looks like I have Illustrator, In Design & Photoshop, does this mean I do not have Acrobat? I think that sounds stupid, I think the answer is no right?
but.... this concerns me.
it would be odd that you purchased the programs separately and did not get the CS suite which includes Acrobat Pro
unless...

iSign

Are you the registered owner of your Adobe Suite? You should at least have saved some documentation if you bought it new, or even the box... so the box should show which suite you have.

If you bought it second hand, or on a computer, you will need to check with Adobe. They will require a transfer of license agreement, signed by the previous owner. You should check (if you didn't buy it new) because the registration is important if you ever need to upgrade.

RebeckaR

It is possible that when your programs were installed, you opted not to install all of them. I have CS3 web premium and when I installed on to my laptop only installed Illustrator and Photoshop. Check on your program package... it's probably in there.