Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File is damaged and cannot open?

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by BlueFishDesigns, Dec 16, 2009.

1. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    I designed a layout in Illustrator CS3 and my computer froze up in the middle of it. That's not the problem. That's been happening lately (tech guy on the way) so I've been saving quite a bit as I go along. I had just saved my file, then tried to put a "feather" effect on something and that's when it froze. The problem is that after I rebooted, I go to open the file and it says it's "damaged and can not be repaired"! I can't place it in Illy either. I tried to open it in Photoshop and that said the same thing. What's going on? Is there anyway to retrieve what I've done? I spent a couple of hours on it! :omg:
    Thanks!

Tags:
  2. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    gone baby gone.

3. BlueFishDesigns

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    no no no no no no no no!!! I refuse to accept that answer! Someone please tell me it can be fixed and how to do it! EEEEKKK!!!
    :doh:
    :thankyou:

4. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Ummmm....I can tell you that, or I can tell you the truth. Which would you prefer?

:)

Gary

5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    For future reference, if you are going to save as you go, use the Save As command and modify the name on each save like filename01, filename02 etc.

6. jmcnicoll

jmcnicoll Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    Open up your other saved copy of it because this one is junk!!!!

Sorry, seen this before and never have gotten one open.

Jim

7. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    This reminds me of a feature missing from Flexi that was in CAS-Mate.

The current Flexi auto-save overwrites the existing file, in CAS-Mate it auto-saved the file as .bak, with as many revisions as you wanted.

8. BlueFishDesigns

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    There should be an emoticon that's crying cuz I would use it now.

What makes something like that happen?

9. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    pullin hair out is as close as it gets, but I think it fits this scenario nicely

10. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

There is a big, long, technical answer to that, I am sure.

But it is basically that it didn't get to "close" the file properly and now your computer doesn't know how to read it. Sorry Man, I beleive that these folks are right. It is probably gone. Upgrade your computer (or fix it if there is something wrong with it), so that it doesn't freeze in the middle of designs anymore. Not to say that saving along the way isn't still a GREAT thing to do, but you can minimize your risk.

11. beermonster

beermonster Member

Jul 24, 2009
    ok i'd do some work on your computer - run applejack or onyx - if you're mack based - might help clean up things and stop the crashes

take a look at the crash report too - it might give clues

ya know cs3 comes with version cue right? allows automated incremental saving, which basically rewinds to whichever last version saved - i've never used it myself - dont even really know how to use it - but i think it would do what you need

good luck

12. jmcnicoll

jmcnicoll Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    When I have a lot of time into working a file I try to always have it saved on two different drives for this reason. Like in most other cases when you do this you never have a problem, but if you don't save it you'll lose it.

Jim

13. BlueFishDesigns

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks for all the responses! Yeah, this computer crashin' stuff is driving me crazy. My boss had someone build it for us when we got our Epson GS6000 a couple of months ago. He built it according to the specs that would be required to run the printer and what they told us we would need. It either freezes up (ctrl+alt+del won't turn it off - gotta use the power button) or just turns off and starts rebooting, sometimes 10 - 12 times a day. Very frustrating. The guy who built it has looked at it a few times but can't figure out the problem. He's picking it up Friday and going to see if he can figure it out over the weekend. The thing is, there isn't a pattern to when it happens. It could be while it's booting up and no programs are open. Or I could have 2 - 3 programs open with some big files and it's fine for awhile. If anyone has any suggestions on what it might be that I could pass along, that would be great.
    Thank you, everyone! Gotta run - I have a file to recreate. :doh::cool:

14. javila

javila Active Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Sounds like an improper build (physically).

15. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
  16. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
    I think the problem is that you should not be using a RIP station as a design station.

17. BlueFishDesigns

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    All very good advice that I will pass on to the computer guy. Thanks!