• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File Management

daenterpri

How does everyone go about categorizing files and folders for design and print? Most of our customers order the same thing over and over again, and we are trying to figure out the best means of this so that our employees know exactly which files to print and cut from the next time they order.

And how do you keep your notes in the same place as the file so that your employees know exactly how the job is to be produced?

GWSigns

Folders -

Folder on drive w/ company/client name containing print files labeled by job #

Folder in cabinet w/ company/client name containing paper files labeled by job # w/ instructions and parameters

Cross checks and references covered

Then we have two people in house with exceptionaly detail memory capability who when given a name or subject can direct you to date and type of job completed, along with prices charged.

Locals Find!

I keep all my files in a setup like this

C:/Artwork/Company Name/Signs/Finals
C:/Artwork/Company Name/Signs/Proofs
C:/Atwork/Company Name/Graphics/Finals
C:/Atwork/Company Name/Graphics/Proofs
C:/Atwork/Company Name/Print/Finals
C:/Atwork/Company Name/Print/Proofs

All job notes go into a read me file. All file names are detailed to the job and reference the read me file.

All extra bits and pieces go into the main folder for that particular type of job or the main folder if it's a multiple media job.

It's an extremely easy system and easy to search. I also pay a few hundred a year for an online file management/workflow/intranet system called appfiles.

Worth checking out as it can really be customized to fit your needs and it's everything is user access controlled. So, you could control what files employees get access to such as you may not want the art department in accounting's files but, you want your manager to have access to both.

Just google em I think you will find it worth checking out. Has allowed me to go 95% paperless both in the broker business and in the real estate office.

CoreBridge

From a workflow perspective, we approached this scenario a little differently. We built in a file management feature into our software which saves all the files (art, documents, you name it) to the digital work order. So if a customer re-orders the same product, all the files are already there. No need to search external drives.

~ Jason Hales, CoreBridge Software