• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File Sharing and Data Transfer Methods. Which is best?

Atomic DNA

Okay. I believe I am overthinking what might be a simple solution.

Our design platform is Mac based and we are running an older version of Caldera that is outputting to 4 large formats from this one computer. Better late than never but we are moving our RIP station to a dedicated PC that will be running the newest version of Ergosoft. Once we have generated the new profiles, we will be discontinuing the use of Caldera which is another story in it's entirety.

So, we will need to transfer the 400M files somehow and I really do not know which way to go. Part of me says use a cloud based system like Dropbox or WeTransfer and the other part is saying to make a direct, hardline connection via a router or however that would work. I am wondering if we will have issues getting the Mac and PC to communicate using a file sharing folder of some kind, though.

I would need something that is 'drag and drop' and will support those files sizes at efficient speeds.

Any suggestions?

WildWestDesigns

Either map drives on the computer and swap directly from computer to computer or use a NAS that has the files stored on it (and those files are edited on the NAS itself) shared across the LAN.

NAS method is my preferred method.

I wouldn't advocate having computers that have an internet connection connected (and that includes the Mac based PCs as even if they don't get infected, they can act as a typhoid mary and infect the rest of the system).

I'm personally not much of a fan of using other people's computers for file sharing. Prefer to keep it all local.

I have gotten this to work in a Linux, Windows and Mac (this one Mac computer is fixin to be gone though and not to be replaced with another) ecosystem as well.

Atomic DNA

Thanks for the input. I did my research and it was between Synology and QNap and ultimately decided on the QNap. I have an older 5 bay Drobo I use for miscellaneous back up but after looking at the specs, I'll be removing it out of the system and going entirely with the NAS. I also love the fact that these machines are capable of 10 gigabite transfer rate. Crazy how technology has changed. Hell, I may wipe all of files off the main computer and run everything from the NAS. Thanks for the recommendation.

fixtureman

I have a NAS that I do this with. When I do a design I save it to the Network drive and that way I can retrieve it from any computer and the only computer that has to be on is the one I am working at.

lbpalm

Totally off topic here, but could you comment on Ergosoft?
We use Flexi and not really happy with the limitations and idiosyncrasies.
Thanks in advance for any feedback on my ot question & understood if ignored.

BTW, we use a combination of a 5TB dropbox account and a (local) 14 GB Thecus SAS8800.

marsuni

Unitype-GR
Totally off topic here, but could you comment on Ergosoft?
We use Flexi and not really happy with the limitations and idiosyncrasies.
Thanks in advance for any feedback on my ot question & understood if ignored.

BTW, we use a combination of a 5TB dropbox account and a (local) 14 GB Thecus SAS8800.
Ergosoft is a Great and versatile RIP. I have Caldera for a SEIKO ColorPainter 100 and Onyx for my both Epson (30610 - 80610) too, but Ergosoft is better and easier than all. It is our Standard Rip since 2008.

Bly

To me, this is the best way to do it. Just make sure that you also have a true backup solution as well (having the QNAP in a RAID setup isn't a true backup solution).

Exactly. We have a raid10 Qnap with an external HD we backup to every night, swapping the backups off site every couple of days.
I got sloppy with the backups then a couple of months ago the Qnap wouldn't boot up so heart attack time..

Atomic DNA

To me, this is the best way to do it. Just make sure that you also have a true backup solution as well (having the QNAP in a RAID setup isn't a true backup solution).

I have everything backed up to Backblaze (online server). I had to learn the hard way a few years back.

shoresigns

You probably don't want to be using a cloud setup like Wetransfer or Dropbox to send files from your design computer to your production computer, even with today's internet speeds.

If your two computers are in the same building, just wire them to the same LAN and share a folder. Even better, use a NAS, which is a physical box with hard drives in it that acts as your own local "cloud" drive. We have one and we save everything directly to it.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
We are set up with 4 raid 1 comps that acess the Nas, then the NAS is backed up to each of the 4 comps thru Synctoy. Each computer is then backed up to Crash Plan. We do not access outside of the office as most work is done in shop, only have needed outside access 3x in 7 yrs and then we just email or use Wetransfer.com

Pippin Decals

I use Pcloud. I get 2 tb of storage for $90 a year, Amazing and fast .Backups all my files as i work on them on my computer and has file sharing with passwords if you want .

Atomic DNA

Finally got everything set up and is working (finally). Ended up going with the Synology 1819+ with the 10gbe upgrade. Drive bays 1 and 2 are set up with SATA SSD's for cache and the other 6 drives are set up with Seagate Ironwolf 12TB's ea. Running a RAID 6 or SHR 2 in Synology's terms. Had to send the original Synology unit back to B&H to have it replaced as it was not being recognized on the LAN. Other than a bad sector on drive 7 (sending it back tomorrow) everything is running great. Cleaning out many old files off my old Mac and what is left is in the process of being transferred over to the NAS. By the way, the 1gbe and 10gbe is night and day difference. My old Mac Pro is running 1gbe and reading a 600 meg file from the NAS took 14 seconds to open. Opening the same file on the new Mac Mini 6 core (maxed out RAM) with the 10gbe only took one second. Unbelievable.