Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File type for screen printers

Discussion in 'Screen Printing' started by Anastasi55, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    One of our brand logos was designed as a raster based file. The designer used a method to get a chrome effect. However, we get requests for this logo as a vector for screen printing. I'd like to re-render it in Illustrator, with gradients approximating the chrome effect, using spot colors. Would this work?

Tags:
  2. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Merchant Member

Depends on the screen printer, but it's where you would need to start. If they are running 4 color process that's one thing, if they are running only spot colors, that's another and they may not want to do it.

I would create several versions of any logo I designed. From 1 solid spot color to 4 color process and a few in between. Then the supplier you are using could easily tell you which one would work best for their process.

FireSprint is a wholesale polysytrene printer.

3. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    That's a good idea... I can always go from spot to process, not necessarily the other way around... I'm also trying to convince a younger guy that yes, spot colors are still used in certain situations...

4. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    With spot colors you could convert the gradients to half tones in illustrator.

5. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    True. There are quite a few possibilities that we old timers understand...