• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fill my brain with hunting knowledge!

genericname

So here's a post I know a lot of you can be passionate about, and share a lot of common ground.

Lately I've been thinking about getting into hunting. This is an area I know next to nothing about though, and I know plenty of you are walking encyclopedia's on the subject. I'm looking for any advice. Be it how to skin a deer, smoke moose meat, or if there's a wrong way to tie up my boot laces while out on a trip. Any advice.

Stipulation: I'm more inclined to start with bow hunting than I am to go out with a rifle or shotgun, and I really don't like the idea of sitting in a tree fort (tent? hutch? canopy? See! I know nothing!) waiting for prey to just walk by.

Bonus points if you can share some obscure code, rules, or exceptions based on the Canadian hunting sce- er... hunting scene in Canada. :Big Laugh

Circleville Signs

Few things to consider out of the gate:

1. If you aren't comfortable just sitting still for a few hours in the woods, you aren't gonna have much success as a hunter. You will make noise walking around, and that combined with your scent will spook al the things you want to shoot.

2. Bow hunting is about 10,000x harder than gun hunting. You need to practice, practice, practice before you go out with a bow.

3. Trying to hunt anything smaller than a large wild turkey with a bow is asinine.

genericname

I hear you on the difficulty level. I have pretty good aim with a bow though, so I figured it a decent starting point.

As for scale, yeah, I understand that too. I'd probably hunt partridge if I went small game, though they're stupid enough to just walk up to and kick. What kind of firearm would I be looking at for small game like that? Y'know, barring the big boot option, hehe.

As for point 1, I get that there'd be a trade-off there. Is there an alternative "style" of hunting though, or is the camp and wait method pretty much standard across the board? I've the patience to wait around; it's more a matter of fairness to me. I know that may sound weird.

Circleville Signs

Well, if you are looking at small game to start, I'd suggest a decent .22 rifle and probably a 20 gauge shotgun. You can get a single shot Winchester 20 gauge for around $150. Good starter gun. use the shotgun for fowl and the .22 for rodents.

Hunting isn't fair to YOU. Remember - you are entering the ANIMAL'S territory. It spends literally 100% of it's waking life avoiding predators. It is MUCH better at avoiding you than you will EVER be at killing it.

genericname

That's a good point. Thanks for the suggestions!

Still waiting on woodsy wisdom from others too though. I understand that complete noobs to anything, like this forum, can offend just by asking, but everyone please keep in mind that I want to be educated about this.

If I say something that sounds wrong, correct me! :thumb:

sar bossier

Well, if you are looking at small game to start, I'd suggest a decent .22 rifle and probably a 20 gauge shotgun. You can get a single shot Winchester 20 gauge for around $150. Good starter gun. use the shotgun for fowl and the .22 for rodents.

Hunting isn't fair to YOU. Remember - you are entering the ANIMAL'S territory. It spends literally 100% of it's waking life avoiding predators. It is MUCH better at avoiding you than you will EVER be at killing it.

We started our boys on a 410. They are REALLY good shots, too! btw generic, it's called a deer stand round these heah parts. Camo clothing a must. My boys hunt on our land, so I don't know about going off into the woods, squirrel, rabbit, my older son can hit squirrels 40' up in the tree, between the eyes with a beebee gun/rifle. They also peg bullfrogs with it.

Fanaticus

I too have become more interested in hunting lately. I've found youtube to have some good information on specific questions. Like skinning, boneing, cooking, trapping, guns, etc etc.

FatCat

I've been hunting since I was a kid. My advice to you is to start small. Too many "new" hunters want to go try their hand at bigger game like deer, elk, bear, etc. Honestly, if you want to give hunting a chance go out and do the squirrel and rabbit thing first and possibly mix in some dove. Squirrel hunting teaches you to be quiet and move slowly and sit still when necessary. It also teaches you patience. Rabbit hunting is a little simpler, often lots of walking mixed in with brief flashes of exicetement. And if you can mix in a good dog it will teach you to work with a 4-legged partner and how to hunt safely with them. Lastly, dove hunting (still one of my fav's) is wonderful if you're in a good field. You can literally burn boxes of shells in the right conditions, so if you like to shoot it's awesome.

Also, please be sure that you are either going to properly clean and cook your game or give it to someone who will. Nothing burns me more than watching people go hunting and kill an animal only to get lazy, leave it laying in the truck till it spoils and then throwing it out.

genericname

Dont ever run......In Africa only food runs.Must be the same over there!

Haha, for the most part, yeah. Some bears, better to play dead, other bears, climb a tree, and yet others, punch it in the nose. Moose? Better hope you have a helicopter. Those buggers will mess you up.

... btw generic, it's called a deer stand round these heah parts...

Ah! I knew it! They're called the same thing around here. Name escaped me though.

I've been hunting since I was a kid. My advice to you is to start small. Too many "new" hunters want to go try their hand at bigger game like deer, elk, bear, etc...

Also, please be sure that you are either going to properly clean and cook your game or give it to someone who will. Nothing burns me more than watching people go hunting and kill an animal only to get lazy, leave it laying in the truck till it spoils and then throwing it out.

Absolutely. I don't want to get into this for show. Part of my reason is respect for the animal I'm eating, so waste won't ever be an issue.

CheapVehicleWrap

Kill? No no, couldn't do that. I'd just mosh the poor critter around a bit and scare the bagebees out of him. Wear em down and try to sell him some stripes or something.

Sticky Signs

I'm not much of a hunter but you did mention "smoking moose". If you are looking to smoke meat at home, I highly recommend looking at a Bradley Smoker. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/
With a little practice you can make everything from smoked salmon to pulled pork and million other things. They're reasonably priced and much easier to operate than lot of other brands out there.

SignosaurusRex

I think the first and best advice I can give you, aside from knowing and being proficient with your weapons of choice and matching them to the particular game you intend to hunt, is to Know your prey. That means everything possible about their habits. Where they live, when, where, what and how they eat. When and where they sleep, drink and travel. How they will react when sensing threat. How to track and locate them. You will need to know everything about the locations you intend to hunt. Where the water, food sources and shelters (protection) that the game utilize are located.
Learning how to hunt effectively and successfully will require lots of study, both, with books, videos, etc., and spending time in the field. If at all possible, get a well experienced mentor.

ucmj22

I've the patience to wait around; it's more a matter of fairness to me. I know that may sound weird.

really...?

if you want fair... leave a trail of corn leading in to a barn. When the deer enters, lock him in ... or better yet, dont, it would be unfair to limit his natural speedy getaway ability.
So after he enters the barn, jump out and start whaling on him, but yell "HEY" first, because sucker punching him would be unfair.
Now you've got yourself a proper fight to the death, assuming the buck doesnt just turn and run.

A lion doesn't give a sh** if the gazelle has a broken leg. He eats that mother.

oh, and honey badger doesn't give a sh** either

megacab

safety, safety, safety....learn it, live it, love it. if you want to know anything about duck or goose hunting specifically, just ask. that's what i would be doing if i lived in Canada. alot more action and alot more days in the field to be had waterfowling.

OldPaint

A CANADIAN that dont know anything about hunting??? i find that fascinating))))))
1st thing you gota do:
LEAVE THE GUN OUT..........TILL YOU.........
LEARN ABOUT THE OUTDOORS and how to survive. TRY hunting with a camera.........
i hunted & fished in ARROSTOOK COUNTY, northern maine and never went into the woods without a COMPASS...LEARN HOW TO READ ONE.......may mean life or death.
the ways you can move thru the woods..........in the least disturbing ways
learn what you can and cant SIT ON!!!
do you know what POSION IVY, OAK OR SUMAC looks like? if you dont finding out the hard way is no fun. one story about a dumb hunter, was out in the woods and had to take a crap, didnt have any paper, so he grabed a couple big leaves......just so happened to be POISON IVY!!!!!!
LEARN WHOS TRACKS you see on the ground, if you cant tell a bear from mountain lion.....stay outa the woods.
when i was a kid in the woods, mid 50's....water from springs was ok, but dont drink from stagnate ponds or small creeks less you know whats upstream))))
LEARN HOW TO BUILD A FIRE.....ALWAYS CARRY AT LEAST 2 KNIFES... one on your hip, a good sturdy, sharp 6-10" hunting knife, and also a pocket knife.........in case you lose the big knife. DONT SMOKE in the woods, you really STINK to animals that DONT SMOKE)))) and their nose is way better then yours. after you spend a couple months maybe a year.....THEN you might figure out how to begin to to hunt for food. ia sorry but i find no SPORT..........in killing just for the SPORT of it.
the only things i ever shot just for the sake of killing was GROUND HOGS, AND RATS!!!
when you can kill these without an AUTOMATIC WEAPON.... then you will do well in the woods. the hardest part of hunting is ONE SHOT, ONE KILL. so owning some sort of "assault weapon" and calling yourself a hunter....is the hight of ignorance. i quit hunting when the LAW came out and said you had to wear a florescent orange vest in the woods so some dummy with a gun(more a them, then true hunters)dont mistake you for a deer or a cow)))))
at present i own 1 gun, stays in the bedroom. .22 magnum 8 shot revolver.........i dont want to scare em with a big bang))))

genericname

really...?

Like I said, I know that sounds weird. Can't help but think that way though. Not that I want to up my danger level, but I have a lot more respect for a bullfighter than I do a dude that fishes with dynamite.

Also, I am well versed, in the amount of sh** that the honey badger does not give. :Big Laugh

safety, safety, safety....learn it, live it, love it. if you want to know anything about duck or goose hunting specifically, just ask. that's what i would be doing if i lived in Canada. alot more action and alot more days in the field to be had waterfowling.

No worries; safety has and always will be my primary concern. My dad may not have brought me up with guns, but he did bring me up with the proper respect for them.

Never even thought of duck hunting for some reason. I make a wicked duck-à-l'orange too... would be amazing to try from duck that I caught myself. I have yet to hear about anyone hunting geese up here. Could be that they're protected, could be that I've been living under a rock.