• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

film options other than Avery!?

biggmann

I have had my fill of Avery and their film and am looking for good alternative. We have been using the Avery 1005EZ for some time for vehicle graphics and all was ok for a time but recently it seems to all have gone to crap. We can no longer get a good print, lots of banding, blacks are grey and there is no fixing it. The worst part is we just did a complete wrap on a truck and printed both sides and the hood over a couple days and let it sit overnight to de-gas and then cold laminated it and all was fine. The truck was delayed for a time (close to a month) but it finally came and we started wrapping. After the one side was done we weren't happy with one panel so I reprinted it, same profile, same printer the only difference was this was a new roll. This panel is so much different and so noticeable that I cleaned the printer double checked the printer and printed a sample and same thing. After what seems hundreds of feet of material trying different profiles, calling our supplier, calling Avery, having the suppliers "profiler" coming in and testing and having our printer tech in NO ONE has an answer other than the material itself has changed. Now Avery (in their defence) has sent us a couple rolls of replacement film and lam, that does not solve our current issue or the dis-satisfaction of the client and our reputation. Averys answer is to send us a profile but its always the same one just renamed and I am at the end of my patience. Does anyone have a good option for a good wrapping vinyl? We have used Arlon 6000xrp in the past and it was ok but I wasnt happy with it. So any thoughts would be appreciated. In the interim, if anyone could recommend a good profile and the settings to use in versaworks it be appreciated as well. Tried them all, GV1, 2, and 3, PCVM nothing has good output.

brush1

Oracal
3M....but please read some posts here.....and you will see why you should not use 3M

Never ever Avery since 2005....2006 problem and the way how they handled it.

HulkSmash

by the way, it's not the avery material. It's the inconsistency of your printer, profiles, temperature, or humidity.
Switching materials won't solve your issue.

C

ColoPrinthead

by the way, it's not the avery material. It's the inconsistency of your printer, profiles, temperature, or humidity.
Switching materials won't solve your issue.
:goodpost:
^This. I'm curious what printer and color it is. I've found Epson green is inconsistent.

After what seems hundreds of feet of material trying different profiles, calling our supplier, calling Avery, having the suppliers "profiler" coming in and testing and having our printer tech in NO ONE has an answer other than the material itself has changed. Now Avery (in their defence) has sent us a couple rolls of replacement film and lam, that does not solve our current issue or the dis-satisfaction of the client and our reputation.

I really think Avery has learned, I know I've had one of their reps claim they have. They flew out the rep and one of their techs to talk to my last job after a few hypochondriacs started getting sick and blaming the print operation.

Either way I've ran 1.5 miles of Avery media in a month with no defects. I had only two occurrences of blemishes in laminate over a year resulting in a lost of about 8 ft. tops.

MR. Graphics

I think it's your printer/profile and the climate changes are effecting your prints. some days i get static which causes overspray at the edges. I bought an eye1 and calibrated a profile with flexi software, remarkable difference in ink consumption and color matching abilities. I use the same profile for everything. I just change the temp.

HulkSmash

I have thought about making my own profile but I can tfind any documentation on how to do that.

won't matter. All inks are different. If you have a latex and change a head, and reprint a panel, color will change. Nature of our game.
It will never print the same unless you pay 4k for a spectrometer and a program.

good luck

Last edited:
oracal 3951 is good, but the 3751 is cheaper and works really well on most all types of surfaces. i find it to be the easiest wrap material i have tried to work with. easier to apply than 3M for me. I also think the Oracal profiles in VW work great.

Bly

won't matter. All inks are different. If you have a latex and change a head, and reprint a panel, color will change. Nature of our game.
It will never print the same unless you pay 4k for a spectrometer and a program.

good luck

It's well worth the 4k to avoid problems like this.

CanuckSigns

Basically, there are 3 major players in wrap vinyl, there are more out there, but I would stick with the major players

3M 180cv3 - the most expensive of the lot, but most people swear by it. Here in Canada it's expensive because ND Graphics is the only dealer in the country

Avery 1005 ezrs - you know about this, it is generally the easiest film to install, Proveer has it on for a pretty good price.

Oracal 3751 - pretty new media ( a few years old I think) most people who have tried it like it, Oracal has improved their wrap adhesive for this, the older wrap vinyl 3951 has a very aggressive adhesive.

hope this helps

biggmann

I think I will see if I cant get a sample of the Oracal wrap, I use the oracal calendared media and it prints great so hopefully the wrap film does as well.

mudmedia

me personally i like 3m 180cv3. I think it is easier to work with then 3751 but it is all personal preference to different installers.

trimitbyrich

We used to use Avery too. We recently switched to 3M IJ180 cv3. The material is much easier to use. We switched because we noticed the Avery changed. The pressure activation was getting to hard to work with. You literallyr have to squeegee everything twice to get the air out and sometimes risk getting wrinkles from the process. Time is money. We can install the 3M a third faster than the Avery and notice a much better consistency with 3M. It's a superior product.

biggmann

we have noticed the air problem as well, we have to go over it again or press really hard on the squeegee ( very tiring after a few hours).