• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finally Ordered stuff for UPGRADE

WildWestDesigns

I use the SSD Tweak Tool to help with TRIM optimization on mine. Needed or not, I don't know, but it makes me feel better.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating filling up any drive close to or at full capacity, however, I do believe companies tend to be more cautious then not when it comes to covering themselves.

DRPSignsNGrafix

Well didn't realize the mother board I bought didn't have any IDE plugs on it for my DVD drives. So I went to a store I found on line in Fairfax last night to pick up a couple INEXPENSIVE DVD burners that are SATA. While there talked to the guy. He gave me a better mother board and processor for less money. So the ones I did by are being shipped back today. I also went ahead and upgraded the power supply. Kept the video card I had for now.
Now i'm ready to load software. Question for you computer guys. Can I load Windows 7 and other programs on the hard drive if I have it in a enclosure and on another PC. Another words. Can I load it while i'm at work onto the hard drive plugged into a USB port. Then when I get home just take it out of enclosure and put it in computer and hit the power button?

choucove

In reality, there are ways of doing what you're describing but generally no, you don't want to go this route. Windows 7 will need to install certain drivers specific to the computer that it is being installed on. This means if you install Win7 on a computer with one type of chipset, lets say an AMD 785G chipset, and then take the hard drive and just plug it into a different computer with a different chipset, say an Intel H67 chipset, then chances are the system will not boot properly.

DRPSignsNGrafix

Ok thanks. That's what I needed to know. I'll just wait and throw the hard drive in when i get home throw in the DVD and hit Power.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yeah, wait till you have the drive installed in the actual machine before installing Windows....

FYI - Another killer deal on Crucial G4 SSD's today at Buy.com. Today they have the 128GB one for just $90 which is stupid cheap. One thing I like about the G4 from Crucial, Crucial is a division of Micron who actually manufactures memory chips. A lot of RAM and SSD's you find out there with different brands, actually have Micron chips. Huge corporation with excellent support and track record for quality.

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-128gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/221150373.html