• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finding and getting Rights to Copyrighted Material?

Conook

There are several roadside decal businesses that have wonderful selections of artwork and most of it is copyrighted. They always say they have paid for the rights to use the artwork. Where? How much? Does anyone know where? I have looked all over the net and I am obviously looking in the wrong places. I have no problem paying for the rights. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Again, someone is giving you bad information. Most sign producers, especially at the local level, never license a recognizable logo in their entire careers. Many, however, will acquire knockoff versions either in collections or on the internet and then kid themselves into thinking that such an acquisition grants them the right to use them.

A lot of new people see producing copyrighted work as tempting but they do so at their own risk and can be both civilly sued and criminally prosecuted for doing so. You will be better off focusing your efforts on making good signs and staying legal.

Conook

Thats dissapointing

That really bugs me then if the people I have talked to said they had bought rights to all these images. I spoke with one gentleman who had all the major league sports team logos, Automobile Logos, and just about any other profitable logo you could think of. He said he paid big bucks to get the rights.

Too bad. I am sure if I tried that I would get busted. Not worth it to me.

once again sound advice. I will stay legal

cdiesel

The "profitable" logos you refer to will turn out to not be profitable, really. You can make and sell them for $5 a piece, or you can letter a truck for $250. Concentrate on businesses and you'll make money.

Conook

totally correct

I beleive your right cdeisel. I started this whole thing to make stickers and found it to be more profitable to do the other jobs. I have done a few vans with lettering for around $300.00. this is less then the closest sign shop charges but they have to travel a long ways to apply. I also charge an application fee depending on the size of the graphic to be applied.

My main concern is making sure the customer is satified and happy with the end result and so far I have had nothing but good results and comments.

iSign

Conook, I'm going out on a limb here, because you said you are a Native American in your introduction. I lived in Santa Fe for 5 years, and had some Navajo Indian friends, as well as exposure to extensive Indian art culture, both in and around Santa Fe. Now I live in Hawaii, and there are similarities with the Native Hawaiians, and their blending of cultures with the American economy around them. As you may be able to guess where I am going with this, I believe that Native American artwork may be an untapped market if that is of interest to you. I don't pretend to know you or where your interest lie & hope this doesn't come off sounding like I think I do, but since you mentioned your heritage & you mentioned the Rez, I just wondered if there might be an opportunity in the decal world, that could open up for you in ways that selling MLB stuff never would. I came up with a small line of Hawaiian stickers, (even though I'm just a haole from Chicago) & sold them to surf shops for 10 years for $1.50 each, usually selling $400 worth at a time. Just thought it may be something you hadn't thought of, and of course it may also be of no interest to you... but based on my good fortune with Hawaiian stickers, it seemed like an idea to pass along.

captonzoom

People will lie just to make a buck! I had a guy tell me "I bought the cd with the logos on it and with the cd came the license to reproduce it" He also said "my lawyer said it was legal"

yeh right!! It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to obtain license rights for copy righted and trade marked material.

Here is the a few documents on becoming an NFL licensee. Unless you have loads of MONEY, you have no chance :(

It wont let me upload a .pdf so here is the website. It will take you to nfl.biz, click agree and you will download 2 documents. read them. ouch!!

https://www.nfl.info/NFLConsProd/Welcome/CpPrequalify.htm

Last edited: