• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finding my way

LCJR

Hello All, the name is Leo. I'm also new to forums. Recently out of work, after almost 20yrs making signs at a beer distributorship. Also worked at a beer distributorship from 85-89. No degree, learned everything on the job through the years. Went from painting signs, to vinyl to computer graphics. So I knew what I knew on the job, but still lack a lot of knowledge one would learn coming out of college with a graphics degree. I was a workaholic and didn't take time to keep up. So I thought while job searching to try something new away from the computer and learn vehicle graphics installing. I use to enjoy working with vinyl.

So I am trying to find a door opening somewhere where I can take training class and get trained on the job as well and perfect a new skill. Its okay to take steps backwards to move forward. I hope to re-invent myself.

If anyone is familiar with this field, has any insight or thoughts about car wrapping (hopefully positive) let me know. I already signed up for an Avery Dennison car wrapping class to get started.

player

Between the wrap course and YouTube vids, you should be good to go. Do you have a printer/cutter and laminator?

LCJR

Reply to Player

No, I don't have equipment. I wasn't looking to start my own thing, if that's what you mean. I was going to take a training class to get indoctrinated and see if someone who needs help would take me on as an entry level person. I actually just received an email from someone saying the were looking to train someone.

StudioSignsInc

I would contact local sign shops in the area, explain your situation and let them know your plan of wrapping vehicles. Then ask for their scrap vinyl to practice with. Any and all kinds of vinyl because if you can apply vinyl without air release, wrap vinyl will be no sweat. Go home and practice on your car. Preferably do this before your wrap class as to get more out of it.

Not only will get your hands dirty, you have an opportunity to develop a relationship with these shop owners.

Best of luck to you!

player

^Be sure to let them know you have no intention of working for yourself or they may treat you weird.

LCJR

Hands Dirty

I would contact local sign shops in the area, explain your situation and let them know your plan of wrapping vehicles. Then ask for their scrap vinyl to practice with. Any and all kinds of vinyl because if you can apply vinyl without air release, wrap vinyl will be no sweat. Go home and practice on your car. Preferably do this before your wrap class as to get more out of it.

Not only will get your hands dirty, you have an opportunity to develop a relationship with these shop owners.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks, I appreciate that. I've been debating with myself on that and feel like that would be one way of going about it. It sure seems practical and proactive and if someone will bite and give me their scrap vinyl that would be cool and like you said possible make some connections showing my interest.

LCJR

Player

^Be sure to let them know you have no intention of working for yourself or they may treat you weird.

Thanks, yes that is true. I'm a straight forward person and I realize it's hard to approach people out of the blue while at their jobs. So I definitely just wanted to make sure to show my excitement and desire to get into it and if someone is open and receptive maybe I can make a contact with them. I certainly am not out to step on toes and use people. I appreciate your thoughts.