• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Finish outdoor timber sign

FitzC

I would appreciate some guidance please. Having finished a sign that will be used outdoors. What would be the correct finish to apply to protect the timber sign from the weather and such, preserving it for a long time?

Would I apply something like Metalex Wood Protector from Soudal (soudal.co.nz) or an outdoor rated varnish?

Or can I apply the Metalex Wood Protect, and then apply the varnish over that?

CanuckSigns

The wholesaler we get our sandblasted cedar signs from just uses a high quality wood stain, he said clear coat will Crack and peel in a couple years outdoors.

Any of the big paint companies like Ben Moore or sherwin Williams have exterior stain used for wood siding that is usually rated for around 10 years.

Billct2

What kind of wood? Routed and all left raw? What kind finish is the client expecting? Sometimes it's best to use a clear or semi-transparent sealer/preservative.
But I've also done 2 part marine clear. Depends on the job.

FitzC

What kind of wood? Routed and all left raw? What kind finish is the client expecting? Sometimes it's best to use a clear or semi-transparent sealer/preservative.
But I've also done 2 part marine clear. Depends on the job.
It’s Macrocarpa wood. It’s routed and left raw. The client doesn’t want it painted or anything, hence I thought applying either or both products I mentioned in my original question. So either the clear varnish outdoor/marine rated or that Metalex product would work?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's all natural, you might consider just plain oiling the wood. There are various kinds out there and based on being like soft pine, it would be better than varnish. Varnishing that will require coats quite often.

Billct2

had to look it up, cypress and Metalex Wood Protector. Just use the wood protector. With these types of products here it is recommended to apply another coat every few years.

brycesteiner

I have used a pastewax that works pretty well for sealing wood for years, especially indoors. I'll even make my own of 30% beeswax and 70% mineral oil. The alternative is Johnson's paste wax but the smell is so strong.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Osmo makes a nice line of finishing oils that would be worth taking a look at. Regular old tung oil would be a second choice. The wood will turn gray from UV exposure. Amber tinted spar varnish will preserve the color longer and provide a thick, gloss finish. All of these will need to be maintained regularly, probably every two years or so.