• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finished Alley Mural

Joe Diaz

Well, we pretty much finished it up today. All we need to do is paint the Deep-Rock logo on the guy's uniform and install a panel that tells the story of Daniels Oil.

We had a bunch of Europeans come through today. In fact on Monday we had 400 motorcyclists stop by on their way down Rt 66 and about a couple hundred more the next day. I was really surprised at the number of tourists that stop by and take pictures in-front of the Rt 66 mural we did a couple years ago that is across the parking lot in that very same alley.

004.JPG 007.JPG 005.JPG 008.JPG 011.JPG 013.JPG 023.JPG

iSign

hey... you missed a spot!
what's up with that blue side wall next door? :rolleyes:

Joe, you guys are incredible. just astounding to take something that monumental & get from rough sketch to this, in such a short time!

I live the electric meter on the gas pump! Never noticed that before. The old codger seems as if he might have a bit of a resemblance to what Bill might look like in 20 years... but that's from someone who only met him a few times... so maybe an overactive imagination there...

Anyway, spectacular job you guys!
(was this 100% your design work Joe?)

Craig Sjoquist

Thought oh nice paintings till I saw the complete job ... my jaw drop out my eyes smashed against the screen beautiful awesome outstanding

Jillbeans

Boy did that ever turn out swell.
I absolutely love it.
Not only is it technically eye-pleasing and great looking, it has all those special little details that make you want to keep on looking.
Bravo.
Love....Jill

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
There is some inconsistency in the shadowing of some of the objects but the overall effect is fantastic - really nice work.

wayne k
guam usa

SebastienL

WOW, looking at the tumbnails, I thought you might have painted the garage sign.....................but everything? just amazing!!
:thumb::notworthy:

blueben

That looks awesome!! Wish I could freehand like that.

Out of curiosity. Does a mural count toward your signage area? One of the cities I do a lot of work in, is pushing murals in their historical downtown area but taking it way from what is available for their sign.

Joe Diaz

That looks awesome!! Wish I could freehand like that.

Out of curiosity. Does a mural count toward your signage area? One of the cities I do a lot of work in, is pushing murals in their historical downtown area but taking it way from what is available for their sign.

No it doesn't count. Unless the mural were advertising the business in that building. Most of the murals here in Pontiac don't advertise existing businesses. They are meant to tell stories about our town's history,

The city actually owns the murals. They workout contracts with the building owners. The building owners have to agree not to paint over the murals and to fix up their walls in order to be a candidate for these murals. And that is point. Especially in that alley, building owners are hesitant to fix up those walls, even though most of them should be fixed up in order to preserve the structural integrity of those buildings. This is yet another great incentive for them to do that.

(was this 100% your design work Joe?)
I wouldn't say 100%. I mean I didn't design the deep-rock logo or the U.S. Tires signs. Those go way back before my time and were on the building that this mural is paying tribute too. The building itself was a completely different structure so my job was to take those essential elements and tie it all together in a way that would fit the building the mural was going on. and as you know, I also had a bunch of help/tips from several signs 101 members. So I can't take all the credit on the design, and I definitely can't take all the credit on the painting. The whole family got their hands dirty here... literally.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks great. The glass block bricks look especially realistic................... :rolleyes:

You guys did great job. Who all participated in this one ?? Physically ??

iSign

...you guys should really travel around in a psychedelic bus doing this & have a TV show about it!