• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finishing Acrylic edges

growler

Smaller acrylic prints, reverse printed with white, full bleed, say 600x400mm on 10-20mm acrylic.

Do you finish the edges pre or post printing?

May be a silly question but it is not an area I have had to deal with before.

Will be printing on a Oce 460.

Thanks!

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
finishing edges

this is always a debate..
to sand with 220?
to use a blowtorch?

i am still debating.

Z SIGNS

I use this.It's a tipping off torch on our neon bench.Shoots a very hot pointy flame.It's about the only thing our neon bench is used for.
100_1022.jpg

TammieH

or scrape with a matte knife, I hold the knife at about 90 degrees to the edge of the acrylic, use my thumb for a guide

growler

I know the techniques to polish the edge.

More after details to doing this post print or pre print.

DerbyCitySignGuy

95% of the time we cut our acrylic in the laser before we print. If it's too big to go in the laser, we cut the acrylic to size and finish the edges before printing. On rare occasions we'll finish the edges after a print if we absolutely have to.

NicMarKro

Maker of Weird Things
Smaller acrylic prints, reverse printed with white, full bleed, say 600x400mm on 10-20mm acrylic.

Do you finish the edges pre or post printing?

May be a silly question but it is not an area I have had to deal with before.

Will be printing on a Oce 460.

Thanks!
Hey there - what did you end up doing for this? I am trying to figure out a similar conundrum, but we are doing 300 units at 100x150mm so trying to avoid having to print on pre-cut pieces that small.

Hey there - what did you end up doing for this? I am trying to figure out a similar conundrum, but we are doing 300 units at 100x150mm so trying to avoid having to print on pre-cut pieces that small.
We find the ink chips if you cut afterwards full bleed white ink. Flame polishing is difficult. Can leave a gutter around the edges where you cut with no white and cut without chipping usually. There’s a diamon polishing bit on some cncs but haven’t tried it

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Maker of weird things (I like the name, respect) .
That said... If you flame polish, do it before... And no cleaning with isp alcohol... That will cause cracking.