Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire Truck Chevron - Roll Up Door

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Ginger, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Ginger

Ginger Guest

I am looking for a tutorial/how-to on installing the new 3M Diamond Grade Chevron on the rear of a fire truck, specifically on a roll up door. I have installed the 3M Diamond Grade Vinyl on fire trucks and installed Engineer Grade vinyl on roll up doors, but never combined the two, and honestly it seems like it might be a nightmare. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Concept:

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
    www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
    :thankyou:

Attached Files:

• gin.jpg
      gin.jpg
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  2. letterman7

letterman7 Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Approach it like any other roll up door. Apply the vinyl(s), then slit along the panels and tuck into the grooves. The panels I've seen from the factory are actually trimmed slightly back from the grooves, but I can't make myself be that anal with the trimming...

3. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Any of the diamond grade needs the edges ALL 100% sealed to protect it from ruining with water getting into it. Roll up doors suck particularly bad because of this. Otherwise, as stated above install the whole door, then slit the seams. (then add edge seal tape/lam)

Where ya at in Ohio?

4. Ginger

Ginger Guest

You guys are affirming what I was already thinking, lots of time and elbow grease :)

I am in west central Ohio, about an hour west of Columbus.

5. ova

ova Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Wheeling, WV
    I would suggest cleaning in the grooves when the slats are just about ready to roll over the top. (when they're at the widest opening). And dry this area good, also. Thats where the trouble will start.

We did the roll up door on a VFD truck last year with reflective. Found lots of left over soap residue in the cracks. Took a couple of cleanings before we were satisfied the vinyl was going to adhere in that area.

Take some scrap and do a test before you apply the real deal.

Dave