• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fire truck

I am quoting on a job for a local Fire Department, I went over there today to take a look at the truck they need done. It's your typical maltese cross (Engine turn gold, Engine turn silver with black outline) and then some other lettering (Engine turn gold w/black outline) and striping.
I was taking a look at their other trucks to see how it was done in the past and it is all cut and layered vinyl which is exactly what I figured but I noticed that it was all laminated over and then the lam was contour cut about a quarter inch out from the edge of the outline.
I figured I would seal the edges but laminate it? Not to mention how did they cut it? Or maybe they hand cut the laminate?
Anyone have any thoughts?

Here is a close up shot of it. I don't know how well you can see it.
Its even around all the type like that.

Attachments

• FD.jpg
    FD.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 90

CheapVehicleWrap

I can't really see it buy I know what you mean. You know how you cut floor graphic laminate oversize? Print, weed leaving reg marks, laminate, recut oversize? Is that not what you mean?

See that would work ok if it was printed but its layered cut vinyl not printed.

It has all wheel steering but I think we would need more than an 18 pack.

CheapVehicleWrap

I was going to change that to 30 before I hit send... All wheel steering? Now you gotzta bring it over! Besides I want to see what happens when you put the hose inside someone's car. Bet I can find a donor.

I was beginning to think it was leaf. But yeah what was I thinking.. duh. well if you layered the laminate just as you did the vinyl with reg marks wouldn't that work?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I wouldn't hand cut it on the truck.
Set it up in your sign program with a 1/4 contour around each group of objects.
Run the lam through the plotter and either layer it all together on your table or float the lam in wet after the rest is on the truck.
I had to do this quite a few times when I had a water based printer - everything printed needed the lam overcut to extend the print life.

wayne k
guam usa

Vinylman

What you have pictured above appears to be SignGold® printed on a Gerber® Edge, then laminated.
I might be wrong, but that would be how I would approach this.
The clear laminate would be put over the Edge® print then contour cut on your Gerber® plotter.

signage

What you have pictured above appears to be SignGold® printed on a Gerber® Edge, then laminated.
I might be wrong, but that would be how I would approach this.
The clear laminate would be put over the Edge® print then contour cut on your Gerber® plotter.

Yea I thought the same thing as Vinylman! It is a little tough telling off the photo, but that would be my bet.

Jillbeans

That looks like the kind of lettering which is applied to new trucks at the factory.
I can't remember who makes it but I think it's a company from down in the southern US.
(hows that for vague)
When I do a truck with trucks like this in the same garage I do it in layered vinyl, SignGold over cast black. Sometimes I will hand-outline the SignGold.
I usually try not to match existing truck lettering when I can, and make my truck look better than the old ones.
Not all the vollies will let me do it, but I loathe lettering a purty firetruck in cramped Hellvetica with lots of abbreviations.
Love.....Jill

GB2

Old Member
That doesn't look like SignGold. There is another product that is what the factories use, which is hand leafed gold on vinyl, and that is what it looks like. It can be layered with black vinyl for the outline or it can be thermal printed and then an oversize, plotter cut laminate layered over that.

yukon

Your image looks like hand burnished gold done at the factory as Jill said, maybe Pierce out west, then oversized clear overlaminate applied, How? I don't know. But if you print the maltese cross on SOLGOLD (Signgold's solvent gold), why not just print, lam and cut as usual? Do you really need an oversized lam on printed Gold? Perhaps you do to act as an edge sealer. Any thoughts?
I'm curious too 'cause I have a pumper to do in a few weeks with similar issues.

Yukon

No it is definitely an engine turn vinyl, looks like signgold. It is definitely layered vinyl also. It is not printed. I will post some better pictures later when I am in the shop.