• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Firewire / IF20 issues with a JV3

eforer

Hi All,

We fried the firewire board on our JV3 when one of our operators tripped on the cable mangled the end and plugged it back in. We got an IF20 error as soon as the machine and computer would try to communicate and onyx's port scan would not show the JV3 connected.

We replaced the board, fired everything back up and started printing. A few feet in to the job we will get either an if20 error or the display will just start flashing. Clearly we still have a com problem. It shows up on the port scan and sometimes jobs go all the way through, but generally one of the two above issues manifest.

We replaced the firewire cable with a 25' cable to allieviate tripping issues, the cable is a lower quality than I would like. Can anyone speak to seeing this issue being a result of the cable? The other possibility I thought of is that the right angle connector board that attaches the firewire board to the main board could have been marginalized.

Looking for any insights.

Thanks,
-Ed

Stripeman

We had a similar issue. Sometimes things went well and sometimes not. Its the cable length. I dont know why it works sometimes, but it does. It would be better to use a 10' cable and 15' cable with a repeater in the middle. We ended up going with a Fire-Nex cat5 extender. It took care of it. This way you can have your printer 200 or 300 ft from the ripstation without problems.