• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Cut

robatmdc

I just made my first cut(s) today. Ecstatic Elation, it works! A little background:
I bought a 30" Redsail cutter and WinPCSign Pro package off e-bay (I know, I know, start off by breaking all the rules) The printer arrived but I was unable to install it for 3 months because I was busy building an office in the shop to work from. By the time that I was able to hook it up I found it was DOA, the mechanism that senses the limit of travel left and right wasn't working correctly. After 15 or 20 e-mails and a couple phone calls to Canada I was able to convey the problem and they sent a new part. Dismantled the plotter, replaced the part, fired it up and tested with the pen attachment. looked ok.

Using all the hints, tips, tricks, I drew up truck signage for a friend of mine who just bought a new white work truck (A new cutter AND a blank slate!) using Corel x3. After getting customer approval I resized the sign with the WINPCSign software (which was almost intuitively easy) and ordered some fresh 7 year Oracal from one of the online vendors (wasn't too sure of the history behind the vinyl that came bundled with the plotter).

Again using all the hints, tips, tricks, I read here I put the vinyl in the plotter this morning, fired up WinPCSign and hit cut button. Voila! Had the knife set just so it cut the vinyl but not the backing. Weeded the first two and the excess pulled off like it was eager to leave. The only thing I noticed was very slight tractor marks (from the pinch rollers) on the red vinyl only, I expect that there is some adjustment for that but It's not going to be noticeable to anyone other than another signmaker with a magnifying glass.

Anyway, just a note to all the newbies; it is possible. Read everything, make notes and dive in.

Pro Image

Glad to hear of your sucess................Its a great feeling when everything works out....................

I'm new to I've also had the wheel marks on some vinyl I just adjust the wheels to the outer edges and hope my image fits between them.

Also have noticed after rubbed down they tend to be less noticeable.

Sign Prophet

Welcome from Long Beach, California. Those track mark are typical of the chinese plotters, The grit rollers are to rough. Glad to hear your first job went good. Congratulations

blackicefx

congrats robat!

I remember making my first sign. It was awesome! It was also for a friend's vehicle and I remember seeing it pass me on the freeway and I felt so proud. Anyway, regarding the roller marks on the vinyl, I recommend only using pinch rollers on the two ends of the vinyl. The middle rollers are usually only for other type of cut jobs aside from standard vinyl.

Matthew
BlackIceFX