• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Go At Buying Digital Media, Need Some Help

S

scarface

Hey everyone! Thursday (today) i am ordering my new 300i Versacamm and i'm going to get alot of media with it as i already have a asking for various multi-color projects.

Now here is the uses i will be mainly using printed vinyl for as of right now anyway along with what i THINK i should use, please elaborate if needed.

Vinyl: Oracal 3641
Lam: Oracal 210 (when needed to lam)

Various bulk orders of cheap "stickers" for promotions
Various bulk orders of labels for misc uses
POP prints mounted onto various substrates (foam core ect)
Various other decals that may not need to "last"

Vinyl: Oracal 3551
Lam: Oracal 290

Vehicle & window graphics
Magnetic signs (mounted onto mag)

Vinyl: Not sure
Lam: Heard there is some nice spray lam out there, not sure on the brand

Event Banners

For right now until things jump off, i will be not be buying a laminator, just using the big squeegee. However, i do know a shop who sprays app solution onto the lam adhesive and wet lays it onto the prints then feeds it back into the machine and it works fine. Any comments on that?

Any help would be appreciated as i am going to order a few rolls of each to have stocked because once i let the cat out of the bag about my new adventure I'll hopefully have a range of work coming :thumb:

njsigns

On the 3551 - spend the extra money for the RA - you'll thank me later. I'd also lam that with 210 if you're using the big squeegee.

Gene

S

scarface

On the 3551 - spend the extra money for the RA - you'll thank me later. I'd also lam that with 210 if you're using the big squeegee.

Gene

I thought the 290 was better suited for it and plus i thought you should match the lam and vinyl with about the same outdoor year ratings? The 210 is 4 year and 290 is 8

Thanks!

PSG

Scarface,

Do your homework (thread search) on what Lams apply well with the Big Squeegee. I do not have one, so I can't recommend anything from experience. However, I do know from some past threads that certain types of backing (paper/plastic) or liners do not perform as well or as easily as others with the big squeegee. If I recall correctly, Oracal Lams seemed to be the most tempermental due to the varying makeup of the liners from one product to another. I also recall that the problem is not just limited to Oracal products.

Basically, specific products and models work better than others with the BS when it comes to the application. It has something to do with the liner not releasing itself from the lam with the BS. It has nothing to do with the overall performance of the lam once applied.

I think this is why NJsigns is recommending the 290 over the 210. I believe the 290 goes down easier with BS vs. the 210.

PS - you can almost always put better lam on top of lesser quality (not cheap!) vinyl and be safe, however, good vinyl and cheap lam is alot like playing russian roulette. No telling how the results will turn out long term.
This is not 100% a hard and fast rule, just my experience. I do know however, that 290 over 3551(+ or -RA) is a good combo.

PSS - You also don't need the whole Fellers catalog of product to inventory either, especially to start and especially if you are a small shop. A few key products will take you along way with what types of work and products you can produce without spending a fortune. Sometimes it is worth putting a more expensive product (lam) on there for a few cents more a square foot vs. stocking something else for when that need comes up for that type of job. Especially for small jobs, however, if you have deep pockets then go nuts and have fun shopping!

Best of luck with your new printer!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

threads1

Good Morning Scarface,

Congrates on the new printer. I have the VP-540 and love it. BTW - I really don't have any issues with the smell. Back on topic - I use a lot of the 290 and I'm getting good results with the BS on several different Vinyls. I think the big trick is to have a super smooth table with no cut marks, bumbs etc. Have fun.

Charlie

gnatt66

When i had my printer on order i scoured the forums for a thread like this.

Here's what i have in stock for materials:

FDC calendared: 30x150

FDC 7010 Lam : 30x150 (goes down like butter with the Big Squeegee)

Oracal 3621 matte and gloss : Best race car print/cut vinyl EVER. (Thanks to Outlaw Graphics for mentioning it)

Oracal 3164: inexpensive 4mil decal vinyl. It's think enough for small countour cut decals to be left untaped. I love this stuff too.

I'm going to order a roll of 3651RA this week, but not sure of the lam due to hearing about 210 and B.S. issues.

My printer came with a 3M sample pack which included 180cv1 and 8518..that's what i've used so far when a cast product has been needed. (it's gone now though)

S

scarface

Thanks everyone! So pretty much get 290 lam and use that on everything?

What is a good banner material to print on, looking to lam with clear shield spray also.

Thanks!