• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Impressions / Help Request with 1641SR Pro

LenXIII

Hello,

So I got my Mutoh 1641SR-P setup today and started doing some tests. For my tests I basically did a dozen color swatches including 4-5 that are way far out into RGB gamma like lime green, hot pink, bright blues etc and a few images with fine details and some smooth areas.

For quality purposes I will be comparing my opinions to my old machine which is a 1624 running the standard DX7 print head using a middle of the road 720x720 setting.

To get the 1641SR Pro to look similar to the 720x720 as far as fuzziness goes it requires running it at 1200x1200 which is about 30% slower with my measurements. When attempting to print my RGB test file with the bright colors the 1641 is unable to even come close to the 1624. It looks like when you convert RGB to CMYK in photoshop. I realize these are CMYK printers, I’m just trying to compare the capabilities with each other. I am very surprised that this machine can’t get even remotely close to the DX7 printer out of the box. I tried every single RGB profile available.

That said, with the 1641srpro I am forced to use the Vertilith rip that it came with and not flexi. It has a very flexi feel to it and who knows it might be flexi programming on the back end, but I cannot use flexi production manager because this printer doesn’t appear to be supported. I think these issues I’m having is mostly profile related as the 1641 only comes with one or two 1200x1200 profiles, two 900x1200 and a few 600x900 ( I don’t plan on using the lower hi speed settings). There is very little I can do here. ALL profiles on the machine default the “dot family” to “LARGE” which I find odd as medium or small would provide a much finer print but all profiles I’ve tried manually changing to medium or small have very poor color which is super faded looking because they weren’t designed for the other dot size options.

I don’t know what I should do. As of now, the fineness and solid color capabilities of my old 1624 is equal or better to the 1641 and faster. I love some of the changes they made to the 1641srpro but let’s be honest, if I cant get colors to look good and the fuzziness to be smooth then none of the bells and whistles matter. I’m thinking of contacting Mutoh and finding out about additional profile support but as of now I’m not happy at all and was expecting much more than what I see on the quality end.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Did you or the dealer set it up? As far as the fuzziness goes maybe the head alignments haven't been done or done properly. These machines rarely come from the factory in perfect alignment. Other than that, get with your dealer and have them address the issues. That's their job!

heyskull

I purchased a Mutoh 1641SR last year and I had to send it back.
If the Pro version is anything like the standard Mutoh 1641SR you are going to come stuck for profiles and will need someonr in to profile it.
Mutoh would hardly speak to me and only referred me back to the supplying dealer who, although they tried their best was not able to help.
My only bit of advise is to get a technician in to set you up some proper profiles.

SC