• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First MOD you should do for any new to you printer

Jodean

I have no idea why these dont come from the factory this way. But do yourself a favor and order up some led strip lights from china and create a whole new world. They all operate on 12v DC power

I have these in my service van in the car area, two 15' strips on the ceiling and its like daylight in there. These are so inexpensive and handy, put them anywhere. Use at home with simple old wall wart transformer or can buy one specifiaclly for it, i have so many laying around i just use what i have in the bin.

Attachments

• LED lighting.jpg
    LED lighting.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 589

player

I bought them awhile ago, but I fear the glue letting go and costing me some expensive head damage... so I never installed them.

crny1

I bought them awhile ago, but I fear the glue letting go and costing me some expensive head damage... so I never installed them.

I put them under the lid of my xc540. For security I cut some laminate patches and applied over top of them to make sure they didnt come loose.

player

I put them under the lid of my xc540. For security I cut some laminate patches and applied over top of them to make sure they didnt come loose.
I was thinking just a little dab of Lexel every 12" to glue it in place would secure it. I think I will put it in...

FrankW

Or you can buy a HP Latex ... they have it factory installed, can be switched on and off through the touch screen, and the printer itself can switch them off temporarily if the light could confuse sensors.

Pippin Decals

cutter 1.jpg
I did this a couple years ago on my Cutter, It has 3m adhesive and holds strong and provides amazing light to watch while things are cutting . I think it paid around 16 dollars for everything ,which included a 16' led strip and power supply on ebay.

Vohaul

Did you just plug them in separately to a 110v outlet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitzu

I believe newer models of Mutoh come from factory with LED illumination. I've seen it in a Mutoh Valuejet 1624 few years ago.
I also thought to do this, putting LED strips in our Mutoh Valuejet 1614 printers and making them light only when you start printing or when you open the front cover. This can be done using a solid state relay (SSR) that is controlled by the voltage taken from one of the vacuum fans, since there are automaticaly turned ON (when you send the job to print or when you open the front cover) and OFF (few minutes after the job is done).
Also, the light from the maintenance area will light only when you open the maintenance door, using the switch from the door.
Appling few drops of Super Glue will ensure that the LED strip will not go off.
Also, it would be even better if the LEDs are mounted in a LED channel with a diffuser cover making it easier to clean them since, in time, you will have ink "powder" on the LEDs.
If you want to make the printer "cool" you can try UV LED strip or even RGB so you can change the colors from the remote control (during Christmas holidays :D). This must be tested before the final installation, because, as FrankW said, the lights might confuse the sensors (especially the one reading the encoder strip)
For me, I will stick with the pure white LED strip, since I want to see if the printed colors are ok.

Last edited:

Jodean

I calculated the amp draw using a Kill A Watt P3 meter and its costs me $5.50 a year, i just leave them plugged in, nice night light for the office

I thinking of wrapping them with laminate strip to make sure they stay there, replace laminate when overspray is bad.

I put five Hanley modules on my hi-fi rack pointing down onto my components. I just wired them to a 12V DC adaptor and put blue translucent vinyl over them to change the color from white to blue.
17438.jpeg

crny1

Did you just plug them in separately to a 110v outlet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I just ran the cord through the machine and out the pack between 2 panels and into a outlet. Leave them on 24/7 for 3 years now.

Pitzu

Of course not, but you can see if nozzles are missing, if a color is missing entirely, when you do a nozzle check or some alignments.
In the maintenance area I always have to use a flashlight, so it could be very handy to mount a LED strip there too.

Last edited:

DZineGraphX

thats a heck of an idea - would eliminate having to move sheet out of the print area just to see if the nozzel check worked - and like someone mentioned something rather then a flashlight when your doing a manual cleaning of print heads in the maintenence bay

i have a roland versacamm - and ya the only thing im thinking is will it affect sensors when loading material - and when its printing - guess worst case turn them off when printing and just be able to turn them on when you want to look at a print without having to pull the sheet out of the machine - and for the cleaning stage turn on when cleaning turn off when not