• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First (Official) Wrap

bull-deano

Hey all,

We got round to doing our wrap over the weeked. This is our first 'real' go at it. I did a bit of it in college and few bits here and there over the years and my wife just recently attended the 3M wrap course. Man, its daunting but so much fun at the same time. Those door handles are just insane.

We did hit a few snaggs on the way, mostly cutting seams and the bumpers but eventually got through it. There are a few tidy ups to do but overall we are pretty damn proud of ourselves.

In the future we will more than likely take more care about seam placement but they don't really show up in the real world, unless of course if you are looking for them.

All thats left is the hood, roof, trunk and skirts. We will be using some matte black on there.

Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0262.jpg
    IMAG0262.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 136

formanek

If you are going to make the lettering at angles make sure it is extreme so it doesn't look like an accident.:Oops:

HulkSmash

First off Great job on your first wrap!!

A couple of things.

1. Do your bumpers in on piece, don't panel it.
2. NEVER.. i mean NEVER let a seam face forward because it allows
it to pull up as you drive 80mph down the interstate, resulting in lift-age and dirt getting under it. Always over lay it facing back.
3. Start with the sides of the car so it doesn't come out crooked, and drifted too far back or forward. then panel from there.

Good luck on your wrap ventures :)

bull-deano

First off Great job on your first wrap!!

A couple of things.

1. Do your bumpers in on piece, don't panel it.
2. NEVER.. i mean NEVER let a seam face forward because it allows
it to pull up as you drive 80mph down the interstate, resulting in lift-age and dirt getting under it. Always over lay it facing back.
3. Start with the sides of the car so it doesn't come out crooked, and drifted too far back or forward. then panel from there.

Good luck on your wrap ventures :)

1. Will do.
2. We have it taped but like you said, do them in one piece.
3. Embarressing bit,... we did, the issue lay in the panel widths and seam placement. We will have to be more careful in the future. I'll blame myself for that, the wife agrees :doh:

Many thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

CheapVehicleWrap

1. Will do.
2. We have it taped but like you said, do them in one piece.
3. Embarressing bit,... we did, the issue lay in the panel widths and seam placement. We will have to be more careful in the future. I'll blame myself for that, the wife agrees :doh:

Many thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

At least you got her to agree to something :) Good luck.

phototec

Bad layout, I don't like this kid of mismatch design (see highlighted photo below), and right up front like you did, draws your eye right to the pattern mismatch. Next time plan ahead, and wrap the design around to the fender seam and create a transition in the artwork that will blend into the side panel better.

It takes a bit of effort but can be done, layout the front and side graphics next to each other when you create your design using an accurate vehicle template and the front and side can be blended so you don't have the harsh line you have now.

The more time you spend in the layout and design, the better the wrap will look when finished!

:omg:

Attachments

• Bad layout.jpg
    Bad layout.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 139

bull-deano

Bad layout, I don't like this kid of mismatch design (see highlighted photo below), and right up front like you did, draws your eye right to the pattern mismatch. Next time plan ahead, and wrap the design around to the fender seam and create a transition in the artwork that will blend into the side panel better.

It takes a bit of effort but can be done, layout the front and side graphics next to each other when you create your design using an accurate vehicle template and the front and side can be blended so you don't have the harsh line you have now.

The more time you spend in the layout and design, the better the wrap will look when finished!

:omg:

Thanks for the feedback.

grafixemporium

The most important thing to get a good grasp on before jumping into the business of vehicle wraps (or signs, banners, tshirts, offset printing, etc, etc)... just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Anyone can buy a printer. Anyone can load up a roll of vinyl and press print. Learning to lay vinyl is a little more difficult, but definitely a skill that can be learned. Graphic design... that's something else altogether. A good design is STEP ONE. It's ok. You don't have to do it all. In fact, if you want to be a successful business owner, I don't recommend you try doing it all. But it's crucial that you take the first step to recognize that you are not a designer and hire one.

I'll assume that this wrap was just an exercise in vinyl application and not really an attempt at award winning design execution.

As for installation tips... there is no reason a car this size cannot be done seamlessly. Unless of course, you're printing on something less than a 54" printer.

Good luck!

SlightlyChilled

Start on the roof,hood,back then sides Why you may ask so you don't scratch the side art....

OOO Ya never where flip flops drop a blade or heatgun on your foot and you are screwed

Jillbeans

I don't do wraps, and would never attempt one.
But I'm not fond of how there are odd edges on that front bumper, and the layout is rather ho-hum and lacking zip.
It's just so straight line and cookie cutter looking, nothing stands out but the phone number.
Rather than the mishmash of shag rug looking background I would have gone the "safe" route and used a clover or clovers somewhere to play off the name.
Just my 2¢
Love....Jill

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Well i'm gonna go the A-hole route on this one...just because you asked. hehe.
Having a seam on that 2" peice of back door is lame. Does look like you took time on the handles (good) tape on installers wrist is kinda weird, considering you went the extra mile and paid for a tool pouch to wear...that appears pretty empty. (told you...it was gonna be A-hole) The flip flops all day wrapping thing will make you exhausted by the end of the day. Ponytail is a plus...keeps hair off the adhesive. lol JK...looks decent for your first "official" wrap...all things considered.

Mikeifg

I would at all possible limit how much text goes onto the door handles. Plus with your name a good logo in the design would have been better.