Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First One

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by Williams Signs, May 28, 2010.

1. Williams Signs

Williams Signs Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Here is my first stucco and hdu sign. Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    what did you use for the stucco?

3. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    I really hope my eyes deceive me! It looks like a Level was not an item put to use.:omg:
    ....oh .......I just realized your biz name.

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    The level, well, I could live with, but the kerning....... there is none. :omg:

5. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    ditto

6. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Well since you did ask. Not too bad for a first one. The monument is just ok. But you layout really needs work. The logo and lettering look like they were just stuck on any place without any consideration for negative and positive space, nor how any of it would relate to the shape of your monument.

The separation between the logo and name is way too much. In fact, you eye is drawn to that nice big white hole in the middle of the sign. You need a focal point to pull the viewers eye to. By closing up that huge gap, the logo now relates to the name and the gained positive space around the format balances out with the rest of the monuments shape. You also could have bumped trace over a little closer to Country.

Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

7. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    I agree about the kerning......but seriously, you can live with it looking like it sank 10" on one end?

Attached Files:

8. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Good for you for getting into something new. How did you make the lettering and icon? (I would have liked to see the icon a little bigger.)

You might want to post up your next one for some extra eyes to go over it. We live for that stuff.

Attached Files:

9. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    What's a "Country Trace" anyway? It's not a term I've ever heard before.

10. mountainmang

mountainmang Active Member

Apr 7, 2007
    i think it looks nice for your first one...and i'm guessing a little mulch and flowers will make it look pretty level:thumb:

11. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME

I think it is level, but the parking lot slopes down, away from the viewer.

12. kstompaint

kstompaint Active Member

I agree, it's only the last shot that appears that way. Otherwise it looks ok.

I think the critiques here have some merrit, but I've done plenty of projects that were not layed out to my satisfaction. Sometimes it's out of your hands... as long as the guy who signed the check is happy you're golden.

13. Fitch

Fitch Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Some great and worthy comments here so far. Congrats on getting into this side and for first shot... not bad.... rating out of 10 for materials used, possibilities, end result: 3

My problem is this:

Whilst yes technically it is a dimensional sign, you could have done SO much more with this.

Consider: The logo of trees and pathway etc could (should) have been done on three layers. Depth of field is important in dimensional signs. Consider that all you can see side on to the logo is a 12mm piece of HDU. Get them chisels out man and chamfer the edges. Give the trees definition, some forward, some back. Paint with varying shades of light and dark green. Undercut where appropriate.
    Chamfer the pathway so there is greater height at one end. Same with the grass. Stipple some yellow and grey/black to give more depth.

The pictorial could have been a little larger and definately followed the curve of the monument.

The text is standard and could have been "boosted" by some manipulation. A little higher and you could have used the "y" to put a fancy ar$e swoosh underneath the text. Not too heavy - it's only a dressing. The keyline is way too heavy.

Could possibly have introduced a third colour into the side inlays. Even varying shades of grey would have "popped" this.

I am truly not bagging this effort. Maybe I am bagging the lack of extra effort that could have gone into this to make in a truly great sales tool for future monuments. You NEED to have people say "wow - I want one of those".

Break it down, do some research, look at the (unfortunately finished) sign and ask "What could I have done to make this better".

Hope this helps

Cheers - G

14. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    What are the black splotches in the trees?