• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

first post! intro

shanarchy

Hello all!

This is my first post here. My name is Shane. I have a small screen print shop in Massachusetts and am in the process of getting into wide format (solvent) printing. We have a small 24" Graphtec vinyl cutter which we use for heat press vinyl and we do some small (18x24ish) signs. The main goal is to be able to offer banners, along with being able to do printed vinyl sheets to apply to coroplast signs, and print-and-cut heat press vinyl. We're not looking to do vehicle wraps or do much on site application such as lettering windows/vehicles/etc (or at least not at this time).

I have an older Mutoh Falcon which I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to get it to work. I'm going to do some internet searching to find an online pdf manual and see if I can find some trouble shooting.

I'm also wondering if I would be better off getting a used Versacamm 540 to start with instead.

There are a couple in my area being sold by a tech that have been "gone through and giving a clean bill of health. These are still older and only have 4 (cmyk) cartridges. I like the idea of having less ink cartridges to buy, but am wondering if this will still put out a nice quality for today's standards. Thoughts?

I'm also curious if anyone has any feedback on using the Roland as a cutter for normal cut vinyl. Do these offer the same quality cutting for smaller cuts as Graphtec, Summa, etc?

I look forward to doing a lot of back reading on this site.

thesignexpert

Unless you are very, very knowledgeable about the various solvent printers I would advise against buying a used one. There is a significant learning curve and you will need a stable, reliable machine WITH a supplier willing to support you as you learn. Just my $.02

J Hill Designs

outsource to a wholesale shop - product arrives within 2 business days, and zero headaches (both from machine breakdowns and solvent fumes)

:thumb:

shanarchy

Mosh, which Roland model do you use? I'm assuming it is print and cut. How well does it work for cutting regular vinyl (smaller detailed cuts)?

JHill, I thought the eco-solvent inks didn't have fumes like the old solvent ones did. Do the eco-solvent inks put out fumes as well?

thesignexpert

Thanks for the welcome and feedback. If I go the new route, do you have a brand/model you are partial to?

I am partial to the Mimaki jv33 and HP Latex printers but Roland and Epson make great ones as well. I would second the outsourcing advice for now to be honest. Before you get into the capital expenditure and learning curve of new equipment it is good advice to outsource for a while. This will give you experience with the technology and will also help you determine if you can actually sell enough product to justify the purchase.