• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Printer option?

Colin

It will print vector art or raster images (like photos). It runs best from Gerber Omega, but can also run from Flexi I think.

Good point here; what software is required for an Edge? Will it not print from any Sign software? Do the files need to ripped as with other printers?

We have migrated a lot of jobs to our eco-sol machine at this point, but the Edge does remain useful.

Yes, given my space restriction, I should look into the Edge option more.

Cheers.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Omega, SignLab and Flexi will print to the Edge.
Yes you need to rip your files and will need a sprocket fed plotter to contour cut.

Steve G.

Have you considered the Mimaki cjv30 60 24" printer and a small Daige laminater?
5k for both... New. Small payment, small foot print, outsource anything over that size?
... Just thorwing it out there.

Colin

Omega, SignLab and Flexi will print to the Edge.

Hmmm, I (like a neanderthal) am still using my good ol' ScanVec Inspire 1.6, which might sound ancient, but dang, it works awesome and does everything I need (in consort with CorelDraw and Illy). I suspect that it won't work for the Edge though huh?

(A computer genius friend of mine got my old Inspire to work on XP).

Yes you need to rip your files and will need a sprocket fed plotter to contour cut.

So a RIP software would be in order; ok.

I do have an old retired Roland PNC 1050 15" sprocket feed plotter which is in perfect working order, but I suspect that this too wouldn't be compatible with an Edge. (?)

Colin

Have you considered the Mimaki cjv30 60 24" printer and a small Daige laminater?
5k for both... New. Small payment, small foot print, outsource anything over that size?
... Just throwing it out there.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Although two devices might be over my space capabilites.

tomence

5k for a new Mimaki cjv30 60 and a laminator. Where can i buy them for that price?

MikePro

Have you considered the Mimaki cjv30 60 24" printer
always an option, but... just throwing it out there.... 24" printer will have you pulling your hair out, as you will be tiling EVERYTHING and i'm pretty sure 24" isn't a standard size anymore for rolls

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Instead of getting a piggy back set up, why don't you consider the 30" VersaCamm. The print quality is really good and the total size is about 4-1/2' left to right and will fit anywhere on wheels. If you did this, you might have room for a small laminator like a desk top one instead of a second piece of equipment just to cut.

There's all kinds of opinion and theories on piggy back vs. all-in-one systems and as you said, you already have the other cutter, so why not consider a nice Roland. There are deals on these all the time because of people upgrading to larger machines after finding out bigger is better. However, their loss is your gain.

MikePro

But would an Edge be even worse size-wise?
touche salesman :) ... most likely the reason why i know nothing about it, i just remember chalking it up to being a sticker machine.
i always hate on anything less than 48", as MDO signage ends up being a major part of your quick-turnovers. no point in making it harder on yourself.

Steve G.

In regards to the Mimaki... Just in a google search i've seen the price at about $3,300. Maybe it's a bait and switch, I don't know but that's not a lot of money for an ecosolvent inkjet / cutter. Of course, you should check with a supplier you are comfortable with. Any merchants on here sell them?? 25" Daige laminators new are 1,300 anywhere.

We all know the drawbacks of a small printer, I believe the general consesus is get a 54" or nothing, don't even bother with a 48". That's usually from people who sell 4 x 8 banners. That's not me. I also hear people get away with an edge at 15" and inkjet is the preferred choice over thermal these days so...

I have not researched it at all, but my point is a new entry level system - Print cut Lam... for 5k. Do truck doors and elements with it and outsource anything else. One seem on a sign is'nt terrible.
A 30" versacam is a lot more than 5k, and you'd still have a seam.
I don't know, maybe the 24" mimaki's junk, check it out. Anyone have one?

I still don't have a printer and I'm mighty happy that i didn't have the payments last year. This year maybe we could have pulled it off but I'm kinda like Pat Whatley on this.. I still outsource and do fine with it. We all know that the wholesale price of printing has come down and is very competetive. On occasion it would be nice to have some prints the same day, but not often.I'm fine with paying a rush charge when that comes up. I'd rather not be a full time printer, i like being a sign maker, and in my opinion i'd have to spend a lot of time printing to justify the 15 to 30k ivestment.
Anyhow, that's why i suggested the 24", Entry level system, entry level price.
At this point you almost need a flatbed to compete with most of the wholesalers.
As for Colin, i'm sure you could easily check to see the size prints you've used in the last year and come up with if a 24" would be usable or not. If you're selling printed truck doors and real estate signs all week, go buy it. If you're selling 4 x 8 printed banners mostly, it won't work

Colin

^^^ More great points. Appreciated.

Yes, it certainly costs a lot more to be a signmaker these days.

Malkin

In your position I would consider the 30" VersaCamm. You may be able to find a good deal as pointed out, and you can use a Big Squeegee for laminating.

Because it's a plotter, you could sell or store any existing plotters you have to make room.

GB2

Old Member
I just want to say quickly that the Gerber Edge is a fine piece of equipment. You can print unlimited size with it via 11.8" panels, which is not as limiting as it may seem. It requires almost zero maintenance, color profiling or anything. There are things that can almost only be printed on a Gerber Edge such as printing white, printing metallic colors, printing on unique materials, etc. If you don't happen to be using it, it just sits there not costing you anything and not requiring any attention. The prints are super durable and do not require any lamination. I have many Edge prints sitting out in the blazing sun for 6 years now and they still look brand new. I have both a wide format printer and an Edge, and though I must say I use the wide format printer far more than the Edge these days, I would never get rid of my Edge.

I agree that a laminator with a wide format printer is just about a requirement. Many things need lamination for durability and also for ease of handling and installation. A 30" printer would be an absolute minimum and only if you are desperate, really a 54" is the minimum you should consider.

TheSellOut

I agree there are many benefits to outsourcing, but i took the plunge into the print, cut, and lam equipment this past Dec., at the cost of $25k., and the payment is steep but I would not look back! I am still a one man op and always took great pride in being able to take a 6 color layout and be able to stack it well, but the labor saved in that allows me to focus more on my graphic design! It also gives me more time (yet still not enough) to practice the finer arts of signmaking such as....carving, goldleaf. Now I had the business to do this, but I will not sit here and tell you that the machine runs everyday...even though I would like it to!

Also I bought a 54" Roland print cut, which is great for limited space, and have not outsourced anything!

Now even though I have only been in eco-solvent printing for 10 months I will say...you can't do it with out a laminator! It's like your masking to be able to apply. Without it a heavily saturated print is about impossible to apply.

Colin

I just want to say quickly that the Gerber Edge is a fine piece of equipment. You can print unlimited size with it via 11.8" panels, which is not as limiting as it may seem. It requires almost zero maintenance, color profiling or anything. There are things that can almost only be printed on a Gerber Edge such as printing white, printing metallic colors, printing on unique materials, etc. If you don't happen to be using it, it just sits there not costing you anything and not requiring any attention. The prints are super durable and do not require any lamination. I have many Edge prints sitting out in the blazing sun for 6 years now and they still look brand new. I have both a wide format printer and an Edge, and though I must say I use the wide format printer far more than the Edge these days, I would never get rid of my Edge.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, after speaking to a sales rep yesterday, it seems that the Edge might be the best fit for me, given my space restrictions for a larger printer and laminator.

I agree that a laminator with a wide format printer is just about a requirement.

The rep I was speaking to yesterday said that a solvent printer doesn't require a lam, but an eco solvent does. Avoiding a laminator is a huge factor for my particular situation.

He favoured the Edge over the Summa DC4sx due to the fact that the Summa is limited to only a few materials it will print on, while the Edge will print on many more. Although, the larger print area of the Summa is more desireable; but it is a much bigger machine too. Gah!

I'm also told that the Edge 1 or 2 are the desirable units to get, over the first generation ones, and I'm told that the new FX ones are having many more service "issues".

He'll be giving me a call on Monday after he finds out what used units he has available. (I was speaking to him near closing time yesterday).

He also pointed out that the cost per square foot is about 10 times greater for a thermal over an inkjet, and while that sounds huge, it isn't as great an issue as one might think until one gets into larger volumes. Does that sound right?

Colin

In your position I would consider the 30" VersaCamm. You may be able to find a good deal as pointed out, and you can use a Big Squeegee for laminating.

Hmmm, I'll look into this idea. Thanks. (or if someone can direct me to the info on laminating with a Big Squeegee that would be great).

Because it's a plotter, you could sell or store any existing plotters you have to make room.

Do they really work ok as a workhorse vinyl cutter? I was once told that they really aren't intended for dedicated vinyl cutting.

:help