• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help First Printer

Blaster

Adam B.
Hey all, opening a small sign shop and looking for recommendations on a printer. Looking to do banners, wraps, decals, etc. Was considering used HP260. Thoughts?

NZ Arnie

L260 is a great machine. Gen2 Latex ink isn't as durable as the Gen3 on the 300 and 500 series latex, but you can print some substrates on the 260 over the others. Like clay coated paper for posters.

Eco solvent is also a great option. Pros and Cons to each.

Which RIP do you intend using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster

Adam B.
L260 is a great machine. Gen2 Latex ink isn't as durable as the Gen3 on the 300 and 500 series latex, but you can print some substrates on the 260 over the others. Like clay coated paper for posters.

Eco solvent is also a great option. Pros and Cons to each.

Which RIP do you intend using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using Flexi 12

Bly

We still have a 25500 that prints perfectly solely for printing posters on cheap uncoated paper.
The L260 is the next generation but basically the same tech.
300 series came next with faster speeds, optimizer etc.

Blaster

Adam B.
Using Flexi 12[/QUO
We still have a 25500 that prints perfectly solely for printing posters on cheap uncoated paper.
The L260 is the next generation but basically the same tech.
300 series came next with faster speeds, optimizer etc.
I have a Designjet Z6200 that I use for renders of set and special effect designs for the entertainment industry. It has always been reliable. I know 2 different beasts entirely but again, always reliable. Thanks for the input.

printhog

I have a Designjet Z6200 that I use for renders of set and special effect designs for the entertainment industry. It has always been reliable. I know 2 different beasts entirely but again, always reliable. Thanks for the input.

Actually the z6200 is the forebearer of the entire HP latex line.. they added heaters to the z6200 and bam - latex printer. HP bought back the entire national stock of z6200's from dealers to prevent folks from trying to convert them to latex (per my repro dealer).

Blaster

Adam B.
Actually the z6200 is the forebearer of the entire HP latex line.. they added heaters to the z6200 and bam - latex printer. HP bought back the entire national stock of z6200's from dealers to prevent folks from trying to convert them to latex (per my repro dealer).
I didn't realize that although looking at them they look the same except the heaters. One thing Im concerned with is the fact that as we start this venture up, we wont print on it daily at first and will that have any effect on the heads, ink, etc.while it sits.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

Not sure where he got his info but I can get these machines still, they are all refurbished units and they sell for like $3k. I think it would be pretty difficult to convert this into a latex machine though.

C

ColoPrinthead

HP is the Phisher Price of printers, great to get your feet wet with and easy to learn. When you replace it you should get a non-disposable non plastic printer, imo.

I JUST UPGRADED FROM THE L25500 TO THE 365, I HAVE MY OLD ONE IN GREAT SHAPE FOR SALE! DID NOT KEEP IT BECAUSE I DONT HAVE THE ROOM! BUT ITS FOR SALE! :).. INCLUDED BRAND NEW YELLOW INK, 3 NEW PRINT HEADS, PRINT HEAD CLEANING CONTAINER. IT WAS WONDERFUL TO ME AS MY FIRST PRINTER!!

bannertime

HP is the Phisher Price of printers, great to get your feet wet with and easy to learn. When you replace it you should get a non-disposable non plastic printer, imo.

It's funny that people refuse to believe in the HP printers. Honestly, the only decent argument against HP printers is the lack of control over every single aspect of how it prints. It's great that you want to have control of your printer, but no one else cares if you do or not. Don't be ignorant guys. We went with HP for three main reasons, zero daily, weekly, or monthly maintenance, consumable print heads, and fastest time to a finished product. Of course, NOW there are few more options that come close to that, but not close in price.

If Phisher Price made toy appliances this great then I'd have them furnish my whole house.

Edit: I didn't want to make a new comment, but as to the disposable-ness of the printer. We literally threw our first solvent into the dumpster. Was a rebranded ValueJet 5ft printer. That thing was a toy.

Last edited:
C

ColoPrinthead

It's funny that people refuse to believe in the HP printers. Honestly, the only decent argument against HP printers is the lack of control over every single aspect of how it prints. It's great that you want to have control of your printer, but no one else cares if you do or not. Don't be ignorant guys. We went with HP for three main reasons, zero daily, weekly, or monthly maintenance, consumable print heads, and fastest time to a finished product. Of course, NOW there are few more options that come close to that, but not close in price.

If Phisher Price made toy appliances this great then I'd have them furnish my whole house.
I find HP's obsession with consumable parts annoying and time consuming from the view of a production manager and have had very serious supply issues even on their more industrial machines like their flat beds (I have to wait several months for an encoder strip!!) - not to mention how much ink is wasted when the ink chip card expire. Dealing with the LX850 was a perfect illustration of how HP tends to over engineer the simple process of setting a printer up and getting it to run files, again wasting more time. I will say this though; HP has excellent documentation and helpful resources online, but not so much for their lower end plastic printers.

Also, I believe the HP Indigo is an amazing machine and the best digital press I have had the pleasure of working with and on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaster

Adam B.
As I said, Ive had the z6200 for along time. Have ripped it apart, put it back together, etc. I find its easy to work on and the documentation is good. But again chip thing with the ink is ridiculous. We were also looking at a Roland VS-540i as well. Wife and I are headed out to the ISA show next month so hoping to get some good information there as well.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
As I said, Ive had the z6200 for along time. Have ripped it apart, put it back together, etc. I find its easy to work on and the documentation is good. But again chip thing with the ink is ridiculous. We were also looking at a Roland VS-540i as well. Wife and I are headed out to the ISA show next month so hoping to get some good information there as well.

If you remember, come by our booth [HASHTAG]#300[/HASHTAG] and say hi!